Weed control

sonoraman

Hatching
Jul 21, 2019
My chickens will not eat prostrate spurge which is infesting the bermudagrass lawn area where they graze. I need to control this weed without creating a hazard to the flock.

Best method to control the weed is pulling it by hand BEFORE it goes to seed. Once it's at seed, it's prolific. Best of luck to you. The reason your chickens won't eat it, is because it too, is toxic. Not going to mention herbicides that can kill it, as Big-Chem says they're safe, and well... they've been known to say whatever they want to make a buck. How many years did Big-Chem say roundup was perfectly safe when they knew for a fact that it was not? I don't want to debate that subject, just throwing the question out there as food for thought.

I'm a gardener, so believe me I know about weeding. Yes, pull weeds before they seed, however some weeds have tough roots that will cause weeds to just come back and spread. Pulling weeds out by the roots helps. Also, lay some plastic or many layers of newspapers down will eventually choke weeds.

Very large area (10K sq. ft.), very heavily infested. Not sure I'd live long enough to pull them all. :( I use the grass clippings for litter in the coop, then compost them when I clean it out. Composting apparently doesn't kill all the seeds. Ideally, I need a remedy that allows a rapid control and return of the flock to grazing asap.

Back
Top Bottom