Weed that looks like a grapevine but there's no grapes on it

There's an invasive vine that looks very much like grapevine, but it's not. It's called porcelainberry. It produces very small, gorgeous berries that look like a porcelain swirl of blue, green, and lavender. When I had some, I kept hoping it was a wild grapevine, but when I took it to the county extension, she said nope, sorry, everyone makes that mistake! It's a very invasive weed, basically. That might be what you're dealing with.

We've never seen any kind of flowers or berries or anything on this. It's gotten pretty big-way bigger than it is now-and I don't remember anything. That's not to say there isn't anything. It has to propagate somehow but I don't know how. The little one I transplanted is still alive.

It is my opinion that you have Riverbank Grape, Vitis riparia

It is native to the USA but as others have mentioned (and you've found out), like other grapes it will climb and can smother nearby bushes, etc. It can fruit but often does not. The fruit is not very delicious and is quite on the acidic side. We pick the tender leaves and use them to make a Lebanese dish of rolled grapeleaves, which our family loves and we can't get enough of. The leaves are edible and palatable by us and our chickens!

More information: http://www.fassadengruen.de/eng/uw/climbing_plants/uw/wild_grapes/wild_grapes.htm

Gallo del Ceilo, in your second photo, what are the things in the background that look like broomsticks with hula skirts?
hmm.png

Quote:
Palm fronds stuck in a fence line. They used to hide my composting area. This year the grape vines completely cover that section of fence.

Its a male grape vine. Chickens can eat it, and you can too! I feed my chickens all the plants i find that are safe for human consumption too. If its healthy for us, it has to be good for them too. I bought a field guide to edible wild plants that covers the entire eastern continental US. Its a very good thing to have. I have one on toxic plants and medicinal herbs too. All three are good resources to answer any more of your questions, rooster of the sky
wink.png

The one with the deep notches in the leaves is porcelainberry. The other is Wild grape. spray with bayer brush killer mixed double strength. Do not transplant or cultivate anywhere, the stuff is nasty.

Back
Top Bottom