Week 2 evaluation/review of new chicks

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
Well my chicks have their 2 week birthday today! What a difference a week makes!! Everyone says they grow quickly but WOW...I had no idea that they grew this quickly. I have had a few small issues but overall they seem to all be thriving.

The BR's are starting to show their bars and appear to be the most rambunctious as far as trying to fly out and wanting to roost on top of the feeder, waterer, brooder plate...pretty much everywhere above ground level. The Black Star's seem to be the smaller ones so far and the least developed and also seem to be the best foragers right now...meaning they throw shavings EVERYWHERE!!. RIR's are somewhere between the BR's and the Black Star's as far as foraging and flying everywhere right now...and then there's the Blue Star's, these are the most laid back and actually seem to want you to pick them up when you put your hand in...they usually just climb on your hand and sit down :) They also seem to be the least freaked out when you are getting them all out to clean the brooder....they are pretty cool with whatever is going on. They are also becoming some of the larger ones in there right now as well.

So on their 2 week birthday they are doing well and my overall evaluation is that I would absolutely NOT get this many at one time again...maybe half this amount is a better number for me. They sure do eat a LOT and until I changed up their feeder they were throwing feed all over the place and being wasteful....not so much now though...Until next week....everyone keep their feathers dry and their beaks wet!! Pic is of them ravaging their treat...which is just their food wetted down :)

Attachments

• Chick pic 2 weeks.jpg
    Chick pic 2 weeks.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 16
Always fun to see some chicks. :D

I never seem to have room for an entire minimum order from a hatchery, either. I usually email all my friends that keep chickens in mid-late winter, and maybe even post to the neighborhood forum to see if anyone wants to split the hatchery order with me. It has worked great almost every time.

You should take a shot at fermenting a bit of your crumble if they already like it wet.

Very good for their gut and they will go berserk for it. All you need is a mason jar, water, a countertop and 72 hours.

Back
Top Bottom