Week after bobcat attack, Yello/white skin spots?

Beamsbox

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2021
Poor girl was attacked a week ago, I was able to stitch it and it looked good for the last week. Yesterday I noticed one yellow/whitish spot (which may be red/black now. I have no idea, her skin seemed fine yesterday.

Any ideas?

First pic is the white spots below a thick scab. Second pic is a close up what I think was a white spot yesterday which is purple today...

;(

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-194843.png
    Screenshot_20211031-194843.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20211031-194805.png
    Screenshot_20211031-194805.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
Poor girl was attacked a week ago, I was able to stitch it and it looked good for the last week. Yesterday I noticed one yellow/whitish spot (which may be red/black now. I have no idea, her skin seemed fine yesterday.

Any ideas?

First pic is the white spots below a thick scab. Second pic is a close up what I think was a white spot yesterday which is purple today...

;(
@Beamsbox :frow Welcome from New Orleans. I am not that knowledgeable, but could it be fly strike? Let me call a few people who know more than I do.
@casportpony
@Kiki
@Overo Mare
Thanks y'all

Are we sure it's not just gunk from being a chicken? Dander/dirt/food debris?

Wound site looks great. The purple spot looks like a blood blister/trapped blood. Possibly from a good peck to the area.

Odd, after a couple days, those white spots turned yellow and just dried up and basically died. I guess I'm fine if they eventually just peel off.

No idea, possibly a reaction to one of the things I've used to clean? (Peroxide, vetericyn, or Neosporin) Just a thought. But at least it's getting better and not worse, as it was for a couple days.

Pics are two days later.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211103-121542.png
    Screenshot_20211103-121542.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20211103-121553.png
    Screenshot_20211103-121553.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
Just wanted to leave an update. I think the scabbing was from Neosporin. Maybe she allergic to it. It didn't contain any of the pain relieving 'cains' I've heard are bad for chickens. Anyhow her skin wouns all cleared up fine.

Unfortunately she does have an ongoing issue with her leg. It was getting much better, nearly walking normal before one day she messed it up again pretty bad - probably jumping up or own from something. So we're still nursing that.

This was my first experience with chicken wounds, I am amazed at how resilient chicken skin can be.

Cheers all and thx for the comments.

Thanks for the update. Wounds can be cleaned with 2% chlorhexidene twice a day to prevent infection. Instead of plain Neosporin, Bacitracin or Polysporin can be used, since they do not contain Neomycin, which could cause an allergy. Even plain vaseline after chlorhexidene may be fine. Resting the leg in a wire dog crate with food and water may help the leg to heal if it is sprained.

Back
Top Bottom