week old baby chick dying?

im having the same problem! They all were running around eating drinking and now all he wants to do is sleep. I got him to drink by dipping his beak in water and I think hi vent is open but i noticed yellow whitish crusty beneath it. I wiped it off and he cried a bit but he really dont look good. Im not expecting him to make the night.

We just picked up a dozen baby week old chicks last sunday and they have been thriving doubled in sized in 7 days very active noisy peepers... tonight all of a sudden they all got quiet , fell over and started dying we lost 6 chicks in 1/2 hour. And 3 more a little while later. Can anyone offer advise.

MDSal - Oh that is horrible! I don't know what is wrong but its so sad!

We got 15 chicks Friday and 13 of them are totally fine. But 2 are seeming like they are going to die. They just lay there with their eyes closed. I'm so sad!

Its our first chicks...and I love them!

I am very sorry about you baby chick, I just lost 1 Saturday night. But when I got her she seemed weak and the others stayed away from her. I tried the electrolite suppliment which seemed to help for a couple of hours Saturday but then Saturday night she just couldn't make it. I just cried....I just didn't want the poor little thing to die. But like you said these things happen and you just have to make sure that you provide the proper temp, water and food and let nature do the rest.

I'm so sorry! I just got my first four baby chicks two days ago -- this is my first venture into chicken owning -- and I'm hoping they'll all make it, but reading this I see that sometimes that just doesn't happen. If any of these die, I'll definitely be crying :-/ It's the sad reality of being an animal lover!

i had a baby chick die,today,i was so sad,we tried everything to save it.all of a sudden it just started laying down an about two hours later it just died,its my first chick out of ten.i hope i dont loose any more

hugs.gif
So sorry to hear you lost a chick. I have my first 12 now and I know it would break my heart to lose one.

I lost my first only last week. It was awful to see her struggle. I went back and forth between wanting to put her out of her misery and wanting to see if she'd pull through. Only hours after I noticed her decline, she was gone.

Like others have said, it seems pretty normal to lose a few. But if you're losing more than a handful of your chicks, I'd suspect some sort of disease.

We just picked up a dozen baby week old chicks last sunday and they have been thriving doubled in sized in 7 days very active noisy peepers... tonight all of a sudden they all got quiet , fell over and started dying we lost 6 chicks in 1/2 hour. And 3 more a little while later. Can anyone offer advise.

That is so sad. I would look for something in their environment since it happened so suddenly. Birds are really sensitive to chemicals (i.e. canary in a coal mine) maybe something was sprayed around them or they ate something toxic. Keep air fresheners and Febreeze type sprays away from them, if you have Teflon pans and they overheat it can give off fumes that will kill birds. Not to be an alarmist but if they are in the house and you know there hasn't been anything else that could have caused it then it would be a good idea to check your carbon monoxide levels. I had a friend who lost all her birds(parrots) and small animals due to carbon monoxide poisoning. It was heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom