Week old baby chicks shake when exposed to sun

pnkbrry24

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
California
Is this normal, some of them shake when they are in the sun, they only shake when they are laying down, however when they see me they start running all normal. Should I take them out of the sun? It's about 82 out right now. Humidity is 35%. And they have water and food.

Thanks

Are they being raised by a mama hen, or are you taking them out willingly?

And what do you mean shake...like their head or their whole body...if they are doing it when laying down..they could be dust batheing?

No I just take them out in a big box and they run around, there whole body shakes. i don't think dust bathing, they are in the box, they shake real fast like in a tight movement sorta way.

I always supply a shady spot, where I place them in a bottomless cage, and they always go to the shade, the air is still nice and warm but there not being baked.
yippiechickie.gif
and that little cover seems to help them feel secure.

Last edited:
If they are brooder box babies, it may still be a bit cool on them. This would be especially true when they lay on the ground because the majority of their bodies would be against the cooler ground temp. This would mean the shaking is their version of shivering.

Now, if you were in Texas, I'd say they were shaking in fear. Been so hot here lately that they would think you were placing them over a broiling rack
lol.png

is there a way you can supply a video ....that is the only way to really understand and help you in the best way...you will have to load it to a site that has videos then give the link on this page

thank you, and sorry we are not much help at this time,
Laura

Back
Top Bottom