Week old chick is limping

Prayerfulchickmama

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2021
Hey! I got my chicks in the mail Friday(shipped Wednesday). Yesterday one little on starting limping. She eats good and drinks but lays more than the others. When I get her out she hops around and cheeps loudly trying to get back to her friends! Her foot seems to be turned inwards a little bit! I am feeding them medicated feed and normal water, no electrolytes.

Have you inspected the foot very carefully for injuries? Chick feet and toes are so darned tiny, it's not always obvious when there's an injury.

A couple years ago, I got home from TSC with some new baby chicks and one of them could barely walk. She preferred to simply lie in place and wouldn't even try to get to food and water.

I looked her over carefully, and found she had an injured toenail. It must have hurt awfully to restrict her movement. I treated the toe with soaks and painted Blu-kote on it so the other chicks wouldn't peck at it. The chick quickly mended and began to eat and drink normally, although she eventually lost the toe.

When a baby chick is peeping loudly, something is always wrong. You need to figure out what it is and fix it.

Have you inspected the foot very carefully for injuries? Chick feet and toes are so darned tiny, it's not always obvious when there's an injury.

A couple years ago, I got home from TSC with some new baby chicks and one of them could barely walk. She preferred to simply lie in place and wouldn't even try to get to food and water.

I looked her over carefully, and found she had an injured toenail. It must have hurt awfully to restrict her movement. I treated the toe with soaks and painted Blu-kote on it so the other chicks wouldn't peck at it. The chick quickly mended and began to eat and drink normally, although she eventually lost the toe.

When a baby chick is peeping loudly, something is always wrong. You need to figure out what it is and fix it.
Thanks so much! I have looked her over several times and cannot find anything although I could very well be missing something! I am trying not to handle her too much to prevent stressing her out! I think it is an injury because it did this yesterday too and this morning we didn’t notice it again until this evening. When she is out of the brooder and on a towel she walks normal, but in the bedding she acts like she can barely walk

Handling a baby chick will not stress her. It's a mistake to think you shouldn't handle her as it inhibits your ability to thoroughly inspect her. Also, if you are going to be able to treat her, you must get over this reluctance.

The chick with the injured toe I told you about became the most calm and friendly chick of the bunch. And two years later, Pearl is socialized to a much higher level due to her early handling. She even comes running when I call her name.

Far from stressing a chick, handling increases the bond this chicken will have with you. There is nothing but positive consequences from handling baby chicks. Forget stress. I guarantee chicks don't experience it.

Back
Top Bottom