Week old chick throwing her head back when she drinks

Well, she’s still doing it but it looks like she’s “snapping” out of it faster? Though, she’s growing just fine. Hopefully she’ll grow out of it....

on another note, I think I’m going to name her Stella since it means star and what she’s doing is sometimes referred to as “stargazing”, lol.

Chicks do tilt backward when drinking, but I've never seen one do that so dramatically. It could just be the way she is.
I'm happy to hear she's growing and still going!:)

E59C48ED-153D-441D-8A40-9DFEB6F87EDE.jpeg

Stella is 3 weeks old today. She’s still doing the head thing, but is otherwise growing just fine.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, she’s also the only salmon faverolle without a beard in the bunch, so I can tell her apart from the rest before she drinks water lol

Okay, so, I got salmon faverolles from Cackle the 10th and they came in pretty rough shape. Some were flipped on their back and all of them were cold, but they all pulled through and are currently fine ( no losses ). However, I noticed one of the chicks throws her head back when she drinks and it looks like she’s having a seizure. I don’t know when this started but I never noticed it when they first came or a few days after and she’s the only one doing it. I’ll post the video of it when it’s done loading, I was just wanting to get this thread started.

Has anyone had this happen before? Causes? Is there anything I can do for her?
Yes!! My 2 week old chick does the same exact thing!! I started them on electrolytes and Nutri-drench on Sun...so far she is the same...all else about her is normal.

Attachments

• 20210404_101009.jpg
    20210404_101009.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 6
Well, she’s still doing it but it looks like she’s “snapping” out of it faster? Though, she’s growing just fine. Hopefully she’ll grow out of it....

on another note, I think I’m going to name her Stella since it means star and what she’s doing is sometimes referred to as “stargazing”, lol.
I've named my girl Starina...baby Star ❤🐥

it’s probably just fine and will sort itself out. i have a bunch of chicks and check on them once a day. they could be doing this same thing. as long as you have a clean environment, fresh water, feed and appropriate heat...instinct will take care of the rest...it’s out of your control ;) turn off the baby monitor

Back
Top Bottom