Week old chick with crooked beak

emib94

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2017
Hendersonville, NC
So, I have a week old lavender ameraucana and just noticed that its beak is starting to get crooked. I've never had this happen with a chick before, so I have no idea what to do! Any advice?
20170525_195911.jpg
20170525_195931.jpg

Well sad to say nothing can be done and it will be the life of the chicken crooked.
The bird will need wet mash to try and scoop into its mouth.
and you will have to clip it at ends of it grows long.
So you have to decide if it is worth all that trouble or dispose of it humanely.
sorry to say this but it is a true fact.
best wished for your decision.

Well, I'm going to give this baby as much of a chance as I can :) our chickens are just as much a pet as our dogs are, here. But, just wondering, do you think this was caused by genetics or could this have been from an injury from another chick or something?

From what I have seen Easter Eggers seem to have this often. Most of the chicks sold as Americauna are in fact Easter Eggers.

It is called scissor beak. As she grows it is likely to worsen.
What Glenda said is the sad truth.

A word of encouragement though...
I have seen many pics of fully adult hens with this and given wet feed they seem to be holding their own.
Foraging won't work for them since they cannot pick up small things to eat.

I would get her on fermented feed right away to give her the best chances.
Keep a watch on her weight to make sure she is not to thin under all the feathers.
Wet mash is kinda like fermented feed but without the fermenting.

I give my birds wet mash made fresh every morning. I simply add dry feed to hot water to make a mush about as thick as runny oatmeal. Let it sit for ten minutes and it thickens up as lot. I make it so that it starts like runny oatmeal and in ten minutes it is like thick oatmeal.

Best wishes
Barbara

Back
Top Bottom