Week old chicks, agree on breed?

cholmberg

Songster
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
Lewisburg, wv
I ordered from Meyer, and my order consisted of 1 olive egger pullet (who was banded),
2 Easter Egger pullet, 1 Meal Maker, 2 assorted white layer pullet and 6 rare breed assorted pullet

50865247_10157044148626532_1241109698728427520_n.jpg

Blue Andalusian? Could be either rare breed or the white layer assorted.

51608129_10157044149441532_7026147659635228672_n.jpg

This one I have NO idea. It was very silver when arriving. Single comb, super
flightly and a real drama queen.

50990872_10157044152611532_7643951015510671360_n.jpg

I am hoping this is a speckled sussex.

51205057_10157044154056532_7405983426148302848_n.jpg

Easter Egger? odd markings on head and legs look like
they are turning faintly green.

#1. Solid blue is obscure, since so many breeds are available in this variety. Could be an Andalusian, Orpington, ect. It's clean-legged, correct?
#2. What comb type? Is this a white chick, or are there hints of gray?
#3. Speckled Sussex is entirely possible, especially if the tummy is stark yellow in comparison.
#4. Easter Egger seems likely. Once again, what comb type? It's difficult to tell, since the pictures are small and pixeled. :hmm

Beautiful fluffballs, by the way! :love

~Alex

#1. Solid blue is obscure, since so many breeds are available in this variety. Could be an Andalusian, Orpington, ect. It's clean-legged, correct?

Clean legged, yes. There is a lavender orpington in the group, which I recognize because
I got three last time. This one is much darker blue. The only thing I can find on Meyer's list that it could be is a blue andalusian.

#2. What comb type?

a fairly prominant single comb for such a young bird.

#3. Speckled Sussex is entirely possible, especially if the tummy is stark yellow in comparison.

Tummy is very yellow. fingers crossed. I do want a sussex! I hope it isn't a brown
leghorn.

#4. Easter Egger seems likely. Once again, what comb type? It's difficult to tell, since the pictures are small and pixeled. :hmm

single comb. has puffy cheeks and faintly green legs.

I have two plain yellow chicks too, and I doubt anything except time will
ID those for me. And one feathered legged chick in the entire lot, I think is
a buff brahma. Which will go nicely with my light brahma I got last year. lol.

Beautiful fluffballs, by the way! :love

~Alex

Ah, yes, I thought I remembered you from somewhere. ;):) How is last year's Meyer group faring? :D

Blue Orpington is also possible on #1, but that'll have to decided in several weeks. :) Only build and earlobes will be the determining factor.

White Leghorn, perhaps?

Wonderful! Speckled Sussex can usually be differentiated from wildtype patterns (like Welsummers and Brown Leghorns) by their striking yellow abdominal patches. :love

Single comb....highly probable it's indeed an EE, though they normally feature peas.

As you know, plain yellow could be White Rock, White Leghorn, and the list goes on. ;) Congratulations on your Brahma!

~Alex

Ah, yes, I thought I remembered you from somewhere. ;):) How is last year's Meyer group faring? :D

Blue Orpington is also possible on #1, but that will have to decided in several weeks. :) Only build and earlobes will be the determining factor.

White Leghorn, perhaps?

Wonderful! Speckled Sussex can usually be differentiated from wildtype patterns (like Welsummers and Brown Leghorns) by their yellow abdominal patches. :love

Single comb....highly probable it's indeed an EE, though they normally feature peas.

As you know, plain yellow could be White Rock, White Leghorn, and the list goes on. ;) Congratulations on your Brahma!

~Alex

I'm actually quite hoping one is a white leghorn. I have a serious lack of white
egg layers in my flock, so I had added the two assorted white layers, I like
surprises. :)

The olive egger has a wild type pattern, but when I took the band off I put a dab
of food coloring on her head so I knew which was her. But I have four with that kind
of wild type coloring. So it's possible I got more than the two EE I ordered, which I
am fine with. I actually love EE.

My babies from last year are beautiful! I did lose one of the egyptian fayoumi hens. She
kept flying out of the coop (8' fence) and refused to come in, something did get her. But the rest are just lovely. 3 lavender orpingtons, 1 light brahma, 1 Delaware, 1 production red, 2 Egyptian Fayoumi, 2 cuckoo marans (obnoxious birds), 3 black copper marans, 1 swedish flower (other was a roo and I gave him away), 1 Blue splash marans. . .so very colorful from last year! All are big, beautiful and healthy birds. The Fayoumi has laid exactly one egg. And the Cuckoo Marans will not stop digging in the next boxes. Lol. I have more coming in March, was the soonest I could get the Salmon Faverolles I wanted. But there are no assorted chicks coming in that order. My husband had a few he wanted, so he filled up the rest of that order with birds he liked the looks of, and my daughter wanted a polish. lol

Fayoumi are said to be resistant to Mareks- put a top on the run to keep them inside. Maybe that will prove true once you breed them.

The striped one is a Speckled sussex you can tell by the very yellow belly, good call Alexandra 33! I was really looking for that with my chickens, sadly, tan but no yellow.

meyerdd.PNG
My blue andelusians came in 2 diff colors, as they say they do, I am glad I didn't get black though.

Attachments

• meyercc.PNG
    meyercc.PNG
    752.4 KB · Views: 7
55C7A740-A3A8-4034-B174-04FB25CAE790.jpeg

This is the dark blue chick now. She is extremely flighty and absolutely hates being touched. Should I still think Blue Andalusian? Grouchy Drama Queen.

2ACBE2E7-A921-4121-AF46-2C58BCEFFA9B.jpeg

This striped one is developing a little crest. Only one chicken on the list of possibilities grows a crest and comes in that color as a chick and that's the cream legbar. . . . . .that would be very nice; or possibly a Swedish Flower (but I'm doubtful on that, but I'd love a SF too). Either way, this girl is getting a cute little crown just behind her comb.

B5B7198A-6235-46C4-AE50-0DBF434F3372.jpeg

Is this a barred rock?

89255C77-B3D8-463F-B5DF-A2CCA54428DF.jpeg

Mystery chick. Silvery bluish hue, legs are turning dark. This isn't the white leghorn. This is a rare assortment chick, I just don't know what she is.

F2963F1E-71D8-4537-8174-269560376D92.jpeg

Buff Brahma, and SO cute. Nicer than the others too.

403C0120-7D1C-4CD6-834D-405FF4F88551.jpeg

Easter Egger? Green legs. cheek puffs.

4B41609D-B743-4FA8-BB47-81C20265D7C0.jpeg

This one is just downright crazy, hard to photograph. She is white with some faint gray marks appearing on her wings and tail.

One of the other striped chicks I still think is a speckled sussex. One is definitely a lavender orpington....she looks exactly like the three I got last year. One I think is a white leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom