Week old chicks with a deadly bully. Need advice!

Welcome! Stick with the chick feed! You may get away with the egg, but the crickets, or anything else, need grit to digest. Have some chick sized grit available in a separate dish for them. Which chick starter, BTW. And it's protein %?
I've liked the bantam Brahmas I've had, but I never do Silkies, finding them too fragile for mixed company, often.
Do you have a plan for the cockerels you are likely to have?
Mary

I mentioned they have some chick grit to go along with all their treats. And their starter is MannaPro with 18% protein.

We have some people with large farms that we are gong to give the males to.
I absolutely love my silkies so far! The silkies and frizzle cochins are getting along wonderfully since I took out the brahmas. But why are my Cochins so skiddish? I read they are like lap dogs of the chicken world... But mine are so nervous. I'm trying to take it as slow as I can, they come to me and sit in my hand to eat and drink but as soon as I make a little move to stroke them gently, they run. Is there any thing I can do to get them to love me? lol besides treats.

I missed the grit part, sorry. And their diet looks great. Chicks go through phases, and generally will come around. They've had a lot of disruption recently, with the bullies, so just let time pass.
My chicks, raised in a brooder where I'm coming over their heads, tend to be very skittish, until the move to the coop section where I can sit around and they can approach me instead. Just give it time!
It's too bad that those Brahmas overwhelmed the others, but having them gone is your best choice.
Mary

Thanks so much for every ones in put! And it seems the others are starting to come around since the bullies moved out. They are starting to flap their wings and chase each other around like they are flying, it's the cutest thing! I think that's playing.. right? They kind of rear up at each other while flapping their wings and going back and forth chasing each other.

Back
Top Bottom