Week old chicks

DakotaFarms

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Well, a week and change. I figure you can assume the chicks are 2-3 days old when they arrive at the store and we got ours last Tuesday so I'm gonna call them a week old. Any who we picked out 4 Buff Orpingtons and 4 Barred Rocks. Wanted 4 Americanas too but they had none at the time so we will try tomorrow.

I of course had bigger plans, like 25 chicks, a huge 12x12 coop and 25x25 run. Well I used chicken math in reverse and subtracted rather then added. I wisely decided to start smaller and then grow bigger so I am holding myself to 8-12 chicks ONLY. I always try and go bigger and bigger when jumping into something but I convinced myself this is not something to get in way over my head to start with.

The first week has been a blast. My 3 1/2 year old adores the chicks as does my wife. I have combated the infamous pasty butt on 4 of the chicks. I pulled a few fuzzies out on a couple of them and felt really bad but it turned out to be a kind of blessing. The 2 that had a little of their fuzz pulled out with the poop removal haven't had the problem since.

Today I gave them just a little hard boiled egg and they at first were apprehensive then once they realized what I had in my hand I was lucky to pull my hand back with all my fingers!

Weather looks to be finally getting better, other than our storm last night, so the coop should start getting some work done to it and hopefully will be finished very soon.

Well, that is what is going on in this house so far. A couple questions I have. Am I a little early with introducing food other then starter? I have some strawberry tops I thought about trying but I'm thinking they need another couple weeks. With the hard boiled egg, can I mash shell and all? Is 18% starter fine or should I look for 20%+?

Thanks
Jack

If you give your chicks anything beyond chick feed you have to supplement with grit. I found it hard to find packaged girt without the calcium additive which you don't want to give layer chicks untill they're laying eggs. Something abou being hard on their little kidneys. From one of these posts, I was referred to construction sand (not play sand,) for grit supplement. I also didn't start treats until mine where 2 weeks old and then only boiled egg and plain yougurt ( which they still love.) Good luck, have fun.
welcome-byc.gif

Regular old chick starter should be fine. I wouldn't put shells in with the egg - they don't need the calcium. Grit was already mentioned...just make sure that's been introduced before trying anything that would be tougher to digest than mild foods like egg/yogurt (mine still don't like yogurt, and they're 5 weeks
hu.gif
).

Back
Top Bottom