week old cream legbar chicks eye "warts"

Unfortunately some of the eye infections can be bacterial or mycoplasma. Those can cause blindness. I really hope that she can survive this, but only time will tell. Pox usually lasts a couple of weeks, but with bacterial secondary infections, it may be longer. Let us know how she gets along.

Is there is pus inside the "warts?" If it is fowl pox, I would lance the lesions and push the pus out. Then spray vetRX over the wounds after flushing with water. Do not use peroxide. Finally, spray blu-kote over it to discourage picking from other hens. The pox should run its course quite quickly. Just do not bring new chickens in or send out your chickens. Mosquitoes cause fowl pox, so it is very hard to eliminate the threat to new birds. Anyway, good luck!

Last edited:
We spent about an 1/2 an hour performing "surgery" this afternoon.

Soaked the skin around the eye with warm water pads for quite a while. Eventually we got the scabs and crust off
to reveal the solid pus mass. We carefully removed the masses and cleaned it out with saline.
Applied some antibacterial ointment.

We felt so bad, stressful for her and you could tell she was in pain but once done felt better.

HUGE improvement in the size of her eye, swelling is down. You can actually see something
resembling a eye socket. After all the worry about pox we think it was just an infected eye
after one of the big birds pecked her.
THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED WITH THE ANSWERS POSTED.

I am sorry to say the infection spread to both her eyes, we had hope we got it all out but the right eye just ballooned up again
then the left swell shut.

I put her out of her pain earlier this evening. Brings tears to my eyes to do it.

I tried to follow the Gail Damerow method but fouled it up somehow and it took a second time. I felt soo bad
like i'm a terrible person. But at least she is past the suffering now. That was the last of my creme legbar chicks.

thanks for all the replies

Back
Top Bottom