week old has poop stuck to feathers

babyelle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
2 of my week old chicks have poop stuck to their feathers around their vent. i have tried a warm washcloth to gently get rid of the poop but the feathers just pull out. i am afraid i may be hurting the chick or causing damage. they seem unaffected but i am tramatized
th.gif
can i just let it ware off on it's own? their brooder is clean.

Give them a warm bath, and use some baby shampoo and really soap up their tushies, soaking and sort of rubbing it off.....It'll come off. Dry the chicks with a soft towel or even blow dry them gently.......

I usually get a few chicks with pasty butt, and I have to clean that off, but usually after the first week it's not a problem anymore. Some people say this happens when a chick gets chilled, but I know that's not the case in my experience.

HI,

I have used mild soap and warm water. Sometimes you have to really wet the bottom to get it off, but be gentle. If feathers are coming out it's possibly to rough. I always make sure to get them dry afterwards so they do not get a chill. I have also placed a small amount of vasaline on the tail feathers that the poo runs down, this will help it slide on down and off. Be sure to check them often and clean them if necessary. Don't forget to give them their electrolites. Hope this helps a little. Best Wishes to you!

I hold my babies in one hand, and place their vents under very warm running water, until the dried poo falls off (make sure to keep their heads higher than their butts!). This stage usually only lasts 2 days or so, for me, then everything's fine.

Juliette

Lots of us have had to deal with this. A bit of poop on a feather or two could be left alone, but you need to be sure the vent is clear or the blocked vent will kill them. You can soak them or hold them under gently running warm water; you can also clip the feathers and fuzz a little, just don't clip where there is a blood supply. Use a little lubricant after cleaning to prevent future sticking -- most anything greasy will do -- veg oil, A&D, Crisco, Vaseline, etc.

Back
Top Bottom