Week-old quail is lethargic, not eating or drinking, cannot stand or walk, and twitches in his sleep! Help!

How much protein do you feed your quail, I have been researching and if they don’t get enough protein (28% protein recommended for quail chicks), they become very sleepy.

If it's just one that hatched weird it's probably not a disease. It's much more likely this one just hatched with issues of some kind. Nutri-Drench is good to have on hand for these runty ones with issues.

Hello - What is his food right now? Does it have any large pieces of seed? Were there any other items is might have eaten? My guess is partial obstruction.

It sounds like it is going into shock. I would try to offer the vitamin water and a sugar water mix (both warm) The sugar part of the mix should hopefully be absorbed even if it doesnt make it all the way through its system and hopefully keep its heart going overnight.

I would offer it this mix every two to three hrs to get it though the night.

Offer this in a shallow dish if it is drinking on its own. If it is not, use a syringe or eyedropper.

*To do this, give one drop at a time and wait for the chick to swallow before giving the next drop. Get the drop to hang from the syringe and then touch the syringe to the side of the beak toward the front. Don't push the plunger in, as some syringes will push liquid out rapidly and you risk the chick aspirating the water. That's why you let a very small drop hang from the syringe, and then take your finger off the end of the plunger, then you let the chick drink.

In the morning if he/she is still with you, it will need subq fluids from the vet. These are given on the underside of the wing or the top of the leg.

For food going forward after one or more rounds of fluids, I have used Emeraid Intensive Care Omnivore and it works well. It should be mixed with warm water and drizzled in a shallow dish, so it can see movement. If it is obstruction, the goal is to get enough nutrition past the blockage so that the bird can grow to larger size and hopefully eventually pass the obstruction into the gizzard, where it can be ground up (if it is seed). This product is ground so fine, it has a chance of working to get past an obstruction.

Keep the chick warm as you normally would - you can likely increase the temp a few degrees higher than the recommended temp for its age, just for now., due to the shock.

Good Luck, I hope it makes it!

Last edited:
Eating on his own is a good sign.

Can you get a video of him uploaded to YouTube?
There is now another quail who has the same symptoms as him, so we put them together. I think they have tremovirus. Do you know anything about tremovirus and how to treat it?

Hello - What is his food right now? Does it have any large pieces of seed? Were there any other items is might have eaten? My guess is partial obstruction.

It sounds like it is going into shock. I would try to offer the vitamin water and a sugar water mix (both warm) The sugar part of the mix should hopefully be absorbed even if it doesnt make it all the way through its system and hopefully keep its heart going overnight.

I would offer it this mix every two to three hrs to get it though the night.

Offer this in a shallow dish if it is drinking on its own. If it is not, use a syringe or eyedropper.

*To do this, give one drop at a time and wait for the chick to swallow before giving the next drop. Get the drop to hang from the syringe and then touch the syringe to the side of the beak toward the front. Don't push the plunger in, as some syringes will push liquid out rapidly and you risk the chick aspirating the water. That's why you let a very small drop hang from the syringe, and then take your finger off the end of the plunger, then you let the chick drink.

In the morning if he/she is still with you, it will need subq fluids from the vet. These are given on the underside of the wing or the top of the leg.

For food going forward after one or more rounds of fluids, I have used Emeraid Intensive Care Omnivore and it works well. It should be mixed with warm water and drizzled in a shallow dish, so it can see movement. If it is obstruction, the goal is to get enough nutrition past the blockage so that the bird can grow to larger size and hopefully eventually pass the obstruction into the gizzard, where it can be ground up (if it is seed). This product is ground so fine, it has a chance of working to get past an obstruction.

Keep the chick warm as you normally would - you can likely increase the temp a few degrees higher than the recommended temp for its age, just for now., due to the shock.

Good Luck, I hope it makes it!
Thank you! My quail has started to chirp now since we put another quail with him (they both have the same symptoms). We fed them both some vitamin and sugar water, and they seem more energetic. We fed them their usual food, no seeds or anything, so it might be a disease. Thanks again for the advice!

There is now another quail who has the same symptoms as him, so we put them together. I think they have tremovirus. Do you know anything about tremovirus and how to treat it?
There is no treatment for that virus as far as I know but if they survive they should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom