Week old Swedish Flower Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Duemig10, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Duemig10

Duemig10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Garner, NC
    I received my 13 Swedish Flower Hen Chicks last Wednesday.. Here they are at a week old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    Gorgeous ! Were did you get them ?

3. Duemig10

Jul 27, 2009
    Garner, NC
    We bought them from Greenfire Farms.

4. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    Nice, I've drooled over those....dream chickens ! Post pics when they are feathered out,too !

5. Duemig10

Jul 27, 2009
    Garner, NC
    I will post pics as they grow.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Congratulations! I've been interested in raising rare chickens just because I don't think they deserve to become extinct. I look forward to seeing how these grow!

7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    here are my swedish flowers I got them as part of the rare breed special from greenfire
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:SilveruddÂ’s 55 Flowery Leghorn is an autosexing breed that is mottled and barred on wild type. From what I can see, your chicks are not Silverrudd's birds. I have posted this information in case someone asks about them.

It appears from the chick down, that the birds' genotypes can very quit a bit. The birds should carry the mottling gene to give them the flowery appearance or mille fleur coloration (phenotype) along with a restrictor, like columbian. From the chick down- it does not appear that they will all be mille fleur, the black chicks ( penguin down) will most likely be black and mottled. The white chick is a puzzle- most likely recessive white. Chick down can vary with the mille fleur phenotype because not every mille fleur is the same genotype. The buff colored chick with the white belly is interesting- it looks wheaten but will have to wait and see if it develops the mille feur phenotype. The three chicks on the right in the first photo are interesting also- they look to be wild type. The other chicks I believe are brown at the E locus.

You are going to get a range of coloration in your birds for sure. It will be interesting to see how they develop.

Tim

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  9. Duemig10

Jul 27, 2009
    Garner, NC
    How old are your chicks from the rare breed special?

10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Very cute!! I love the looks of the Swedish Flower Hens. Keep posting as they grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by