Week olds with days olds together in brooder?

Mrs Stumpgrinder

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 24, 2009
South Carolina
Hey everyone,
I have 38 one week old Barred Rocks in the brooder and are doing great. They hatched out on 6/20. I also will have new babies ready for the brooder this weekend 6/27
caf.gif
fl.gif

My question is can I put both ages in the brooder together?
hu.gif
Will the older ones pick on the younger babies?

Please advise.... time is running out.

Thanks

Ms Stumpgrinder

I have successfully had chicks that are a week apart live together just fine. I even had a bunch where I had day olds, 1 week olds, and 2 week olds all together. Another time I put 4 week olds in with 7 week olds. It's really a watch and see kind of thing.

I think putting in a group of younger chicks tends to be OK but putting in just one or two causes a problem. It's a variation on safety in numbers.

So go ahead and put them together but watch and wait to make sure they will be OK. There will probably be a little pushing and pecking, just be sure that there is no vicious intent from any of the older chicks. I once had 5 3 day olds and added 1 9 day old and had the 3 day olds chasing and harassing the older chick!

So good luck and just be sure to keep a close eye on the brooder for the first couple of hours!

I think they will do just fine.
I had 2month olds with much younger ones and they just did
what they do best eat.
But do keep your eye on them for the first few days.

If you can, wait until night time to add the new chicks to the older chicks. The theory is that they'll be too sleepy to notice the newbies, and in the morning they'll have forgotten that these chicks are new.

It worked for me.

I had good luck with buying chicks a week apart (I wanted breeds that were arriving at the feed store on different dates). The little ones really had to scurry around sometimes to avoid getting stepped on and to get their share of food. But they have grown into beautiful pullets and at 12 weeks there is little difference.

Good luck and have fun!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom