WEEVILS IN THE FEED

saddlebags

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 20, 2007
weatherford Texas
I just opened a bag of chick starter I bought from the local feed store.The bag was full of brown weevils. Is it ok or should I throw it out and buy some more.Will it be ok to use?
Thanks for your help JP

You can take it back and get another bag or get your money back.

If there is nothing else wrong with it some people might feed it to older birds - just a little more protein.

It's in my crumbles I buy around here. The eggs get layed in the feed during the winter and as the weather changes and gets hotter, -being in the feed storage houses it can get pretty humid- the eggs hatch out. I feed it to my chicks, and have since I got my chickens. It doesn't seem to hurt them at all, it's just a special treat. The layer pellets as far as I can tell don't have any. But what the bugs do is basically just chew down the food til it's powdery, but if you have alot of chickens and feed often, you should get to the bottom of the feed before the bugs do too much damage.. But if not, and the bottom is nothing but powder, you can toss it over the ground and let them dig through it.

i found a dried frog in my feed bag 2 weeks ago. don't know if it came with the feed, or just jumped in and died oooo
th.gif

I would return the bag and ask for a fresh one. If it was sitting around long enough for the weebles to develop, then it is old feed and there is potential of toxins developing in there as well.

Jody

Every bag of feed or scratch I have ever bought from a certain local feed store has been infected. After buying the first one, I returned it and got another, but it too had bugs. I only buy from them in emergencies now and keep their food segregated from my other feedstuffs.

I don't think it will cause a problem with the chicks, but I don't want all my chicken feed, scratch, and oats to have an infestation of these things.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom