Weird acting female button quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by YooHwa, Jul 14, 2011.

1. YooHwa

YooHwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I currently have 47 days old 6 button quails.
    I know I have 2 males and 3 females.. not sure about the other one, but it's smaller and skinner in size.. so I guess male?
    I'll try to update a pic later on.

So yesterday, I put them all in bird cage while I'm cleaning their original one.
    Then I got bored so I decided to stare at them (...yes I prefer staring at them rather than watching TV or sth [​IMG])
    That's when I found out one wild female button quail is walking weirdly. It's like crawling on the ground..
    I was worried it was hurt, so I tried to pick it up.. Then it started to walk normally and run away (sooo fast)
    The thing I noticed was that black (turning blue) male jumped onto her and she made weird noise.
    [​IMG] Weird.. huh...
    Maybe he's picking on her? I really don't know.. The 6 of them were always together and never had a single fight in their life.
    (Well... I noticed that the black one turning into blue was chasing after a brown one which I don't know the sex of. But never got bloody or fight.. Just chasing around..)
    I guess it's time for me to start pairing them up.

Anyway, the wild female is keep walking that way.... do you know why? [​IMG] Any possible answers?

2. chance&augie

chance&augie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Greater Houston Area
    I noticed my button quail hen do the same thing when the male tries to mate. They also make a quick squeaky noise when they are doing the you-know-what.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    chance&augie :

I noticed my button quail hen do the same thing when the male tries to mate. They also make a quick squeaky noise when they are doing the you-know-what.

That gave me a chuckle!​

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You need to start pairing them up like they are supposed to be. She may be beaten up by the others and in that case you may lose her sooner.

5. YooHwa

YooHwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I tried to pair them up, but they cry for whole day when they are separated from each other...
    I tried it yesterday and they really cry loud.... I think I have 3 males and 3 females..
    I have brown, black, and grey males.. Grey never fights... it's only the black one that is being territorial..
    Brown one doesn't seem to care at all.. But I was afraid if they are going to be bloody so I separated brown one and put it with wild female.
    But they just go wild and cry and cry and cry and cry and cry..... It seemed like we both were getting stressed so I put them back together.

They were born together and were raised together in their whole life.
    Is it normal for them to cry all day when they are separated?
    Oh and I see that female was doing that for you know..that...
    Am I suppose to expect an egg soon?

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

THey will lay even if there isnt a male around. You can expect an egg when it is time for her to lay. The male I have was picking on the female terribly so I put him in another cage in the other room. They call back and forth all day. When she grows her feathers back I will try them together again...I got tired of her looking like E.T.!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by