Weird and gross... Will he be Ok??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MakNat, Dec 3, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I have a 6 month old grown Muscovey drake.. Allong with 6 other ducks that are all fine. He has this white snotty foamy goo oozing from the front of his eyes. He shakes his head and rubs it on his back to get it off, but it is NOT long before it is there again. If you look at him straight on, all you see are two big snot wads. he seems fine otherwise. Hes always been a loner... They live with chickens and everyone looks fine except him???? Could it be eye worm? I did just ivermic all the chicks, but not ducks. Wasn't sure the dose. Or allergies??? I have no idea never seen it before!! any help will be greatly appreciated. And of course he is not one of the ones I want to get rid of. Always my favorite. Just had my favorite roo killed by a hawk yest.. Thanks!!

2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Try washing the eyes with saline.... just had to do that with my Cayuga. She had one eye completely shut from the white goopy stuff...

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Listen to him breathing. This time of year mycroplasma infections are pretty common (chronic respiratory disease)
    If he is wheezing, or sounds gurggley in his chest, its a good bet that that's what it is. The eye snot, is actually sinus discharge, as their sinus cavities run right under they eye . Often times people think there's something wrong with the eye, but the swelling is actually from the sinus's.
    If he sounds conjested, give him, and all your birds that have been exposed to him, a round of mycroplasma effective antibiotics. Tetracycline products and Tylan both work well for this.
    Keep us posted on his progress
    Good luck
    Aubrey

4. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Ok.. He is VERY hard to catch, but has always hung out mostly by himself and if I slowly walk (lurk) towards him he will let me get almost close enough to touch him. As I was doing that today, I didn't notice any heavy breathing at all. And the weird thing is... After I let them out today ( as I do everyday to free range for a few hours ) I saw that it completely cleared up. He never got it back all day ( today is the first time I've noticed it) and I'm VERY observent EVERy day... So, Don't know. One thought though... In the run I use 2 gallon buckets for water and somedays put ACV in them, was wondering if maybe he dunked his head in it and had a allergic react???? I will watch him and see?.. He is solid white.. My DH and I were just thinking of names?.. Any suggestions?

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Quote:I'd name him Mouth Breather. lol

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    my scovie drake had a similar problem. WHite gunk all in his eyes. I brought him in and let him play in the Bathtub , cleared it up but then it was back the next day. Now its pretty much gone.

7. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Quote:Hopefully thats gonna be his luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by