Drake can’t walk, foamy eyes, no bumble foot.

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
Been away for 2 weeks, the neighbor girl was watching them, shes a nice kid, but i wish she had been a little more clear about how bad off he was, dunno what I could have done from there but I can’t go back.
Hes been having some mobility issues since last fall, I blamed his heroic acrobatics in an attempt to reach the girls when i had him confined during mating season. He had run/flown over the 5’ garden fence only to land like a sack of potatoes on the other side several times, escaped the dog pen i had for him and gotten his head stuck between the bars of the dog crate resulting in several hours of not being able to walk or hold his head up, but he came around. Earlier this summer he got foamy eye, which I treated and it had cleared up. And he was less than graceful but was still doing well enough to chase and molest his favorite hen.
Upon my return he doesn’t run out of the house in the morning, eventually he sort of bumps his way slowly to the food and then to the hay pile where he spends the day. All the other birds seem fine, he “murps” a lot. His eyes are very foamy, and its hard to tell if he is really seeing. His feet are free of bumble foot, hard to know, but his legs feel warm to me.
Any suggestions?

Clean his eyes good with a saline rinse for eyes recipes on line then use Terramycin eye ointment. I also put some ACV with mother into the drinking bucket that can help too 1 Tablespoon to each gallon of water at this strength it doesn’t burn. Use the ointment in the evening before bed so he doesn’t wash it off. As for his legs is the swelling anywhere? It wouldn’t hurt to give him a week of liquid BComplex and see if it helps we use it for niacin deficiency but it helps with strengthening legs muscles. 1 ml with by mouth or over a small Amt. of treat just for him so you know he’s getting full dose. If you use a syringe to give it to him by mouth you need to know how. I’d also keep him where he isn’t over doing so he can rest and also get water therapy swimming around is another good way of strengthening the legs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

This will show you what is available in liquid BComplex https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Please keep us updated on how he is doing

Clean his eyes good with a saline rinse for eyes recipes on line then use Terramycin eye ointment. I also put some ACV with mother into the drinking bucket that can help too 1 Tablespoon to each gallon of water at this strength it doesn’t burn. Use the ointment in the evening before bed so he doesn’t wash it off. As for his legs is the swelling anywhere? It wouldn’t hurt to give him a week of liquid BComplex and see if it helps we use it for niacin deficiency but it helps with strengthening legs muscles. 1 ml with by mouth or over a small Amt. of treat just for him so you know he’s getting full dose. If you use a syringe to give it to him by mouth you need to know how. I’d also keep him where he isn’t over doing so he can rest and also get water therapy swimming around is another good way of strengthening the legs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

This will show you what is available in liquid BComplex https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Please keep us updated on how he is doing
I tried last night with the B complex on peas, he got some, but I don’t think much, i had a hard time getting him to eat them, he couldn’t seem to focus on it enough to eat, made me wonder if he could see it. Their enclosure is smaller this summer than in past because I have been having predation issues, lost 2 hens so far. He doesn’t travel more than 10’ one way in a day, at least as far as i can tell

Boy that hard to watch. Pekins seem to have many leg issues and sometimes rest water therapy and the liquid BComplex can help them a lot.
Sorry you’re having predator problem. If he isn’t eating enough to get full dose give it to him by mouth. At least for a week so you can see if it’s helping him.

I got at least most of a syringe of b complex into him, and put him in the pool, hes well enough to fight enough to make it difficult. But that’s about it. Hes not the one mating, but the one awkwardly looking on. Cleaning the house out now and thinking I might allow water and food back in for a while to see if that helps. But not too much of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpeg
    IMG_0663.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
He looks alert which is always good. Hopefully, the B Complex will help. Does he have a good appetite? I have never been able to have food and water inside either of my coops the Runners are the biggest slobs in the duck world lol. I do keep feed and water for my chickens in winter but it's up where the ducks can't get to it.
Thanks for the update. Give him a hug from me:)

He looks alert which is always good. Hopefully, the B Complex will help. Does he have a good appetite? I have never been able to have food and water inside either of my coops the Runners are the biggest slobs in the duck world lol. I do keep feed and water for my chickens in winter but it's up where the ducks can't get to it.
Thanks for the update. Give him a hug from me:)
I stopped this winter, i love not having it there, but if it helps i will deal with the mess. I don’t know if i can blame runners or Rouens or Pekins , but they are mighty messy the lot of them. Would it help to do B complex 2x a day? I know they pass what they don’t use but?

Sorry, I am just now seeing this. How has he been today? Since it's water soluble I don't think it would hurt him to have 2 doses a day.
He’s looking better, but doesn’t seem to be walking better the terramycin seems to clear up the foamy eye quickly . I put him in the pool, he stays there quite a while, had a long day at work so I wasn’t there all day but he was clean and white when I got home.

Back
Top Bottom