Drake with injured eye

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
Putting the boys in a pen together away from the girls started fine but didn't end too well...my Welsh Harlequin started going after his son who is smaller. The feathers are ripped out of the back of his neck and his eye is injured. It looks swollen around it and foamy. It definitely bothers him because he keeps shaking his head. Is there something I should put on it?

20230508_173532.jpg

Terramycin ointment is good for this kind of thing. I've had to use it on a couple drakes with similar injuries. A couple months back one of my girls got a nasty scratch on her eye that it cleared right up too. Even more recently I had to use it on my blue heeler who was bit in the eye, and it worked far better than the overpriced eyedrops the vet sold me. Definitely something I'd recommend any poultry keeper to have in their first aid kit.

Terramycin ointment is good for this kind of thing. I've had to use it on a couple drakes with similar injuries. A couple months back one of my girls got a nasty scratch on her eye that it cleared right up too. Even more recently I had to use it on my blue heeler who was bit in the eye, and it worked far better than the overpriced eyedrops the vet sold me. Definitely something I'd recommend any poultry keeper to have in their first aid kit.
Good to know, thank you! I'll look for some.

if possible put the drakes side by side with fencing between them. That way they are still together but dad can't hurt his son.
I moved him back in with the girls for now and he hasn't even been trying to mate, so I'll probably let him stay for now. He's bonded with one of them and has just been staying close to her. I may have to do that if the Welsh Harlequin decides to turn on the Ancona drake who's in with him, but they've been fine during the day and are separated at night.

It looks like Tractor Supply carries it so I'm going to pick some up today. Do you put it directly into the eyeball?

Back
Top Bottom