Weird and really random question about chickens sleeping.....

I know my chickens sleep well because I've heard them snoring! We had to bath them to get ready to show at fair, so we decided they should sleep inside. iIn case they weren't completely dried off, we didn't want them catching a chill. So we put hem in the office in a dog travel crate and put a blanket over the top to darken it. Several hours later, I went into the office to put something away, and I hear a dainty snoring sound coming out from under the blanket.

I agree. Once the light is out, and they are roosting, they are asleep. And for the other comment, even prey animals have to sleep.

I have a hen that will get into the REM sleep with moving eyes. She turns her head and pulls it in. She will even work her beak like she is eating something!
tongue.png

My chicken slept on me once. She got all comfy and then twisted her head backwards and put it inside her feathers. It looked like her head was gone. and she slept for like 45 minutes and then got up and left.
tongue.png

Henrietta in the wagon says "lets Roll" :love
Have you submitted this to the "photos needed" page of the official caption contest? Because it's a good candidate. ;) I'd include a link if I knew how to on my tablet. :D But it's easy to find on the site. Thanks for sharing. My ladies used to do the same thing with my wheelbarrow, as it happens.

Last edited:
My four girls are weird I guess. Or, the coop is. They each are a different breed and were raised together from just 1-2 weeks of age. Sometimes they sleep in a clump. When we sneak out at night with a flashlight and look at them, they don't even notice. Often they clump behind a roost. Sometimes, one or two will roost. Usually at least one prefers a nest. But Buttercup takes the cake! She is a Sicilian Buttercup and looks like a cross between a chicken and a pheasant. She likes to sleep belly down in the middle of the perch floor, stretched out, looking for all the world like a dead chicken! Scared us the first time! They all seem deep asleep. RR

My four girls are weird I guess.  Or, the coop is.  They each are a different breed and were raised together from just 1-2 weeks of age.  Sometimes they sleep in a clump.  When we sneak out at night with a flashlight and look at them, they don't even notice.  Often they clump behind a roost.  Sometimes, one or two will roost.  Usually at least one prefers a nest.  But Buttercup takes the cake!  She is a Sicilian Buttercup and looks like a cross between a chicken and a pheasant.  She likes to sleep belly down in the middle of the perch floor, stretched out, looking for all the world like a dead chicken!  Scared us the first time!  They all seem deep asleep.  RR 

Lol....buttercup's sleeping is too funny.

Back
Top Bottom