Weird Behavior: The Shuffle

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by plymouthrocksrock, Dec 19, 2010.

1. plymouthrocksrock

plymouthrocksrock Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Is it just me, or are Chickens constantly shuffling? Shuffling, as in when they are pecking on some dirt and the top layer is unsatisfactory, so, they shuffle their little legs back and forth on the ground to expose another layer of dirt. My girls seem to do it all the time, especially when the soil looks nice and moist.
    Is this happening to anyone?????? [​IMG]
    Or is it just me......................... [​IMG]
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

All chickens scratch, or shuffle.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Normal chicken behavior.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's called scratching, it's a normal behavior to turn the soil over and bring bugs and seeds to the top where they can be eaten.

5. Hound

Hound Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    If you have a rooster and he does a sideways shuffle, that's the time to watch your back!

6. plymouthrocksrock

plymouthrocksrock Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2010
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Maybe chickens just constantly hear elvis music. [​IMG]

7. lightfoot

lightfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    NW minnesota
    Quote:I have a bachlor pad with 5 tophat polish roo's. today they pretended to be out of water and lured me into their pen. I was relaxed, my guard was down. after I entered, they started the circle shuffle. as I bent over the water font, they all attacked me together. flog, peck, and the old raking with claws. their screaming could be heard a mile away. "I never told them I used to be Jacky Chan's sparing partner.
    I won, 3 of them were beak to the wall, 1 was giving me the stink eye and calling me names, the biggest and meanest was trying to get out of the top of the feeder. so be on guard for the chicken shuffle.
    bob

8. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    My lame chicken, Lulu can't scratch very well because of her hip/leg. She looks like she is doing a dance step - step left foot forward, right foot forward, left foot back, right foot back. She waits until we are digging up weeds, etc and comes over for us to dig so she doesn't have to scratch.

It is funny watching baby chicks scratching - they go through the motions but don't seem to know why.

Oh BTW. Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by