Weird Behavior!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaybob54, Jun 21, 2011.

1. jaybob54

jaybob54 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    I just went out to my barn and amy Buff Oprington Hen was sitting on the nestbox. So I moved the hen out of the
    nest and there was NO EGG!!. She's been doing this for the past 2 months. I wonder if I put fertile eggs under her
    will she hatch them??? Also my banty hen who was sitting on about 16 eggs for the past 3 weeks pecked me, fluffed her feathers,
    And cluked to the Cows come home..[​IMG] do you guys know why she has been doing these weird behaviors.

Home to 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 horses and LOT"S of Chicken's [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I have a hen that keeps doing that as well she will sit inthe nesting box all day for a few days and then she leaves for a few days... I wonder if her cycle is off. [​IMG] I was even thinking of buying a few (more) chicks and put them under her the next time she does this. ..

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    She is in broody mode. So is the other one by the sounds of it.
    Give them some fertile eggs to hatch and they will be in broody happyland.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like she's broody. Is she on the nest at night instead of roosting? If so, either slip her some eggs to hatch or day old chicks to raise.

5. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Ahh, there's nothing in the world quite like a broody hen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by