Weird bump and eye problem

actually, i looked at it again and the smell was probably stuck on poop. also, underneath her she is peeling in a lot of spots. is that normal during a molt?
She sleeps in an egg laying box and she lays down on hard floor often. Except would that explain why it is hard?
Do you mean the keratin sheaths are peeling off the feathers or that her skin is peeling?

How old is she?
Has she always slept in the nesting box or is this a new behavior?

Do you mean the keratin sheaths are peeling off the feathers or that her skin is peeling?

How old is she?
Has she always slept in the nesting box or is this a new behavior?
her skin is peeling everywhere underneath her. Also, she does have the keratin all on her but if you pull up her feathers and look at her skin, it looks like she is shedding skin.
she is almost 8 and she has been sleeping in a nesting box for awhile now but there is nothing odd about that.
an update is that last night i was looking at the black dot near the bump and i actually was able to pull out a small feather. It’s still attached to her and it has no keratin so is that what was causing the bump? The feather was stuck in her and when i tugged on it it came out.
i am very curious about this but also about her peeling skin, its not normal?

her skin is peeling everywhere underneath her. Also, she does have the keratin all on her but if you pull up her feathers and look at her skin, it looks like she is shedding skin.
she is almost 8 and she has been sleeping in a nesting box for awhile now but there is nothing odd about that.
an update is that last night i was looking at the black dot near the bump and i actually was able to pull out a small feather. It’s still attached to her and it has no keratin so is that what was causing the bump? The feather was stuck in her and when i tugged on it it came out.
i am very curious about this but also about her peeling skin, its not normal?
Do you see her taking dust baths? She may not be preening or taking care of her feathers or skin like she used to since she's old.

So are you saying there was like a tiny curled feather in the bump? Like under the skin?

You may find this article helpful as well
https://hencam.com/henblog/2013/11/caring-for-feeble-old-hens/

Do you see her taking dust baths? She may not be preening or taking care of her feathers or skin like she used to since she's old.

So are you saying there was like a tiny curled feather in the bump? Like under the skin?

You may find this article helpful as well
https://hencam.com/henblog/2013/11/caring-for-feeble-old-hens/
I do not see her taking dust baths but i have seen her constantly preening and she is at the end of the molt and her feathers are very silky and seem normal.
Now that i have studied it more today, i think that the bump and feather might be unrelated. The feather is about a centimeter away from the bump and now its been about 24 hours and the bump is still there with the same discoloration and size. But yes the feather was under the skin near the bump.

Back
Top Bottom