Weird bump next to the beak.

or something such as Papillomas. Both are viruses and are incurable but should go away on their own after a few weeks.
I think one of my BAs had one of these by her eye as a chick. It was one way I knew which was who. It didn't seem to bother her at all, and I couldn't find any information on it, so I left it alone. Eventually it fell off. Now I can't even see where it was.

Where are you located @fatimastic ?
I am in the tropics where we commonly get dry or wet pox.
I immediately separate my infected chicken(s) from the rest of flock in a quarantine cage. If she is the only one, I give her a buddy. I don't want the chicken to stress. I then clean and bleach all waterers and feed dishes and clean up my coops (with vinegar mix), change bedding, turn dirt in run etc. I also put my whole flock on vitamins like nutri-drench and/or B12 in water and only healthy snacks. This can be a serious deal and you want to squash it asap. I have horses so I use their Ecovet fly spray on the roosts and legs of my chickens to keep mosquitos at bay BUT, I have open coops. If you use a spray be careful of intense smell and chemicals in a closed coop.
Pox is spread via mosquito and or scabs. You can purchase a vaccine at feed stores, not sure of your area... ours is $27. and has 1,000 doses. Your virus is out and about already so your best bet is to get control of any potential spread. I can't stress vitamins and quarantine enough and mosquito control. Check your area for standing water and empty out obvious breeding grounds.
Ointment does not hurt, but that is a dry bump so I would not use ointment unless it gets wet or scab rips off. You want bump to heal and scab to fall of naturally, but don't want another chicken to peck at or eat... that is a way it can spread. The pox can last a few weeks but once it has passed the infected chickens will be immune. I have watched the pox wipe out the entire flock of wild chickens next door, the young are especially vulnerable, pox can blind, go down their throats... I have had minimal effect because of good husbandry and healthy chickens IMHO. To date, I have had 5 infected but all have survived with a few days sick and mild scarring that has mostly healed.
Good luck. Don't panic but do be proactive! Aloha!!!

I think one of my BAs had one of these by her eye as a chick. It was one way I knew which was who. It didn't seem to bother her at all, and I couldn't find any information on it, so I left it alone. Eventually it fell off. Now I can't even see where it was.
That's good to hear!
I will hope that this happens the same to my pullet...

Where are you located @fatimastic ?
I am in the tropics where we commonly get dry or wet pox.
I immediately separate my infected chicken(s) from the rest of flock in a quarantine cage. If she is the only one, I give her a buddy. I don't want the chicken to stress. I then clean and bleach all waterers and feed dishes and clean up my coops (with vinegar mix), change bedding, turn dirt in run etc. I also put my whole flock on vitamins like nutri-drench and/or B12 in water and only healthy snacks. This can be a serious deal and you want to squash it asap. I have horses so I use their Ecovet fly spray on the roosts and legs of my chickens to keep mosquitos at bay BUT, I have open coops. If you use a spray be careful of intense smell and chemicals in a closed coop.
Pox is spread via mosquito and or scabs. You can purchase a vaccine at feed stores, not sure of your area... ours is $27. and has 1,000 doses. Your virus is out and about already so your best bet is to get control of any potential spread. I can't stress vitamins and quarantine enough and mosquito control. Check your area for standing water and empty out obvious breeding grounds.
Ointment does not hurt, but that is a dry bump so I would not use ointment unless it gets wet or scab rips off. You want bump to heal and scab to fall of naturally, but don't want another chicken to peck at or eat... that is a way it can spread. The pox can last a few weeks but once it has passed the infected chickens will be immune. I have watched the pox wipe out the entire flock of wild chickens next door, the young are especially vulnerable, pox can blind, go down their throats... I have had minimal effect because of good husbandry and healthy chickens IMHO. To date, I have had 5 infected but all have survived with a few days sick and mild scarring that has mostly healed.
Good luck. Don't panic but do be proactive! Aloha!!!
Thanks for the informative reply!
I live in Southeast Asia.
We dont have the medicines you prescribed here so I am left with just cleaning and disinfecting their waterer. But what should I use to disinfect it?
I only have 4 chicks and 5 hens with a rooster.
They both live separately.
And we don't have that vitamins you mentioned.
Any food for which I can replace the vitamins?

She is healthy and is eating fine, so I started this forum just to be on the cautious side.

We dont have the medicines you prescribed here so I am left with just cleaning and disinfecting their waterer. But what should I use to disinfect it?

She is healthy and is eating fine, so I started this forum just to be on the cautious side.
Yes, just clean a little extra and do what you can and make sure it is healthy food. Next time you pick up feed or go to the feed store you can ask if they have liquid vitamins I guess. And do what you can to keep the mosquitos away ;). I have not vaccinated my flock either and as long as they are healthy they do fine. I'm glad she is doing well. Keep us posted :D

Please list your location under your I ur Profile. Here are the directions. This info is Always Very Helpful when assisting you with problems. Hope she heals up quickly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201006-160321_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-160321_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2
Please list your location under your I ur Profile. Here are the directions. This info is Always Very Helpful when assisting you with problems. Hope she heals up quickly.
Yes, just clean a little extra and do what you can and make sure it is healthy food. Next time you pick up feed or go to the feed store you can ask if they have liquid vitamins I guess. And do what you can to keep the mosquitos away ;). I have not vaccinated my flock either and as long as they are healthy they do fine. I'm glad she is doing well. Keep us posted :D
I can't stress my appreciation for your replies enough!
Its really motivating for me when people address my issues and help me.
And i will surely keep you guys updated.
I took it this morning.
20201020_100332.jpg

What I see in the picture looks like what I had growing on my kneecap as a teenager... a big wart. I had them on my fingers, soles of my feet. I had them removed several ways, but some came back. Eventually they all disappeared. It is a virus, and it ran its course.

I thought maybe the bump near my chick's eye might be a similar thing, and I couldn't do anything about it, really. Like I said, it didn't bother her at all and fell off. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom