Weird bumpy eggshells?

If it's only one of them, then I'd say it probably has to do with her reproductive system. My guess would be that the egg is kinda pausing in the oviduct, resulting in an extra deposit of calcium on the shell. Still nothing to worry about. Can you rub the calcium off with your nail? They're still pretty new layers, so the situation may straighten itself out here in the next week or so. Frustrating for you just the same!
I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's just because they're still young. I've had the easiest time so far with this flock, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop!

I will keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's just because they're still young. I've had the easiest time so far with this flock, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop!
How long has she been laying like this? I'm kinda thinking that the issue will sort itself out. She's young and has alot of time to get things figured out!

Yes, I have had a few that had calcium deposits on egg shells, and it is not a big deal. Occasionally one hen may have a shell gland problem. Just aim for a balanced chicken feed as most of their diet, and a continuous container of crushed oyster shell available in a separate container, not in the feed. They will take what they need. Here is a good chart for abnormal eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I've seen that the cause for a buildup of calcium is sometimes improper nutrition. Say if your hen is eating too much calcium and not enough other minerals. What all do you guys feed?
I free feed purina game bird starter to the adult turkeys (30% protein) with -maybe- 1/4 mix of homegrown corn/ soy free layer (18%) to cut the protein a tick.
They have free access to grit and oyster shell, and I also add niacin (crushed tablets) to everyone’s feed. They always have free access to fresh water.
I don’t really offer treats, and I haven’t been able to free range them since separating into breeding groups - because the boys just seek out the other guys and they all want to fight 🤦‍♀️
I’m working on a turkey tractor for my bachelors and then grow outs, but it’s not finished yet.
So they have secure coops at night, and runs that keep everyone separated. But their runs have been stripped of any vegetation after a summer of being in them.
And no, I can’t “flake” off those bumps w a fingernail. They are a part of the shell...

Attachments

• D9EFE92A-D494-4F26-93F1-F130F28EFA72.jpeg
    D9EFE92A-D494-4F26-93F1-F130F28EFA72.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom