Weird bumpy eggshells?

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
Hi all! My girls have been laying since July with no problems, but now lately someone is laying these lighter colored eggs with weird bumpy shells.
I would think it's the same as the occasional double yolk or shell-less or other "newbie" egg situation, but it's suddenly regular for whoever it is, after so many weeks of normal. So just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.
I do think my husband feeds them too many treats, haha. but nobody else seems to be affected, so I don't know!
Thanks in advance!
PXL_20230901_014749852.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230901_014820692.jpg
    PXL_20230901_014820692.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have a couple of turkeys that lay eggs like that consistently....
No one has given me any ideas as to how to “fix” the issue. And I don’t really give my turkeys treats- I don’t think that’s your issue.

I’m sorry I can’t help w the “how to fix the issue” question. But I can say that they crack/ cook, and incubate as well as their more attractive counterparts 😉

I've seen that the cause for a buildup of calcium is sometimes improper nutrition. Say if your hen is eating too much calcium and not enough other minerals. What all do you guys feed?

Maybe one of them is eating the eggshells after we use the eggs, more than everyone else? 🤔🤷
If it's only one of them, then I'd say it probably has to do with her reproductive system. My guess would be that the egg is kinda pausing in the oviduct, resulting in an extra deposit of calcium on the shell. Still nothing to worry about. Can you rub the calcium off with your nail? They're still pretty new layers, so the situation may straighten itself out here in the next week or so. Frustrating for you just the same!

Back
Top Bottom