1. ChickyChickyChick

ChickyChickyChick In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2019
    I have 4 Lavender orpington chicks and two Lavender cuckoo chicks (all from same farm, all hatched on July 13th and 14th. The cuckoos are cockerels.) One of the Lavenders has it's wings kinda turned out and up. You can't really see it in the pictures but it's head is also kinda shaped differently than its sibling. None of the others are like this, what could be wrong with it?
    The first four pictures are of the weird chick and that last two are of a normal one. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. CountryFlock

CountryFlock Songster

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    I’ve seen some of my lavender Orpingtons have feathers come in looking like that. It seemed like those Orpingtons had excessive shredded feathers (caused or linked with the lavender gene). They end up fine though.

From the photo I couldn’t see anything particularly weird or wrong with the head.

coach723 and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  3. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I had a chick whose wing feathers grew in kind of like that and posted pics on a thread. People said it will fill in just fine, and also, that means it's a cockerel. Both were true...in fact it filled it the next day.
    Wingside (3 of 1).jpg

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  4. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    This is just a growth pattern of the wings. Happens all the time and the rest of the chicks will catch up and the middle will fill in soon! Don't worry, your chick is fine, just growing quickly! :D

coach723 and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  5. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Awwwwwww, so CUTE!!! :love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: