1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weird chicken behavior, video in post. Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Newmotherhen89, Feb 8, 2016.

1. debigag

debigag Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    I checked on my girls again. The one with the smelly poo is doing better. She is actually up and walking around and her tail is up. She even ate a bit of greens I had down for them. There is poo on the floor and though it is still thin it is not black nor does it smell as badly as before. I don't know who poo'd though. The one with the neck issue is still the same though not ruffed up now. Probably b/c the heat lamp is on and she is inside where it is far warmer. I got a small bit of Clindamycin in her and I also got some mineral oil down her in case she has something stuck in her throat. At this point I guess all I can do is what I have been doing and wait and see.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's about all I would do, wishing you luck.

3. debigag

Feb 26, 2016
    Unfortunately, she passed last night. I think, as I look at the symptoms, that she may have had a tumor. She was twice the weight of my other hens even though she had not been feeding well the last 2-3 days, and as I look back, she has steadily gained weight over the last 6+ months. Even in her death she weighed a LOT! I think she had a growth.

4. chitownhens

chitownhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2016
    So very sorry to hear about your loss............

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. If you can refrigerate, but not freeze her body you could send her body to the state veterinarian for a necropsy. You could also try doing one yourself, opening up the abdomen to look at the liver, intestines, gizzard, and the abdomen itself for evidence of internal laying, tumors, fluid, or large amount of fat or bleeding. Take a few pictures, and post them for opinions. Was she still laying? Here is a link to your state vet:
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  6. debigag

Feb 26, 2016
    Thanks for the support. I was going to open her up...my Bio degree kicking in. But I did not have the heart to cut into her. My second bird is also touch and go. One minute she is acting fine and then next time I see her she is hunched and listless...then a few hours later normal again and eating....She has been drinking a lot of water, more than normal. She I am not sure what is up with her.

As for laying.....my girls will be 5 years old in July. They stopped laying when they were only 2. In the spring of 2013 none of the 5 hens started laying after the winter. About 4-5 months later one hen started laying and I get an egg once every 2 days or so....but none of the other 4 ever started laying again. So of the 4 remaining hens now, only 1 lays every other day

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, it can be hard to do a necropsy on them if they are pets. I dislike doing them, but if there is a big mystery, it sometimes makes me feel better to get an answer. I have hens 2, 3. 4, and 5, and they seem to lay fairly well. Too many to keep track of the non-layers though. Some lay now and then, some never. I'm trying to get my number down, and then start with some new chicks in a few years. I just let the older girls stay around.

8. Newmotherhen89

Newmotherhen89 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2015
    oh no! have you posted in the diseases forms yet and gotten any replies? there can be someone who might be able to pinpoint whats going on with your chickies! have you tried any nutritional supplements yet?

9. debigag

Feb 26, 2016
    I thought this was the disease forum??? It says at the top of the page, "emergencies, diseases, injuries and cures" ?
    I picked up a nutritional supplement, as liquid that can be given undiluted directly to the bird. I don't remember off hand the name of it. I was giving her the recommended 1ml a day.....but she really hates me doing that (I have a special syringe I can use) and I worry about it going in too fast and choking her and/or going down the wrong pipe. Last Monday morning I laid her on her back and felt around her belly and it really feels lumpy...I feel very sure that this bird also has tumors. She is still here though. She is still mobile though walking like a penguin. She still drinks a lot of water, though she is not eating as much now, but still eating. She IS very thin....but she waddles up to me when I go to see her. I pick her up and either just hold and snuggle her or she seems to like it when I bend over and pick her up holding her by her thighs (keeping weigh or pressure off her belly) and I slowly swing her between my legs. That seems to put her to sleep!!
    At this point I doubt she will make it too much longer. She does not seem to be distressed. When our days are warm I put her with the other chickens and there have been no issues. If it is too cold I keep here in the basement with a lamp...otherwise I lift her in and out of the coop in a.m. and p.m.
    When she passes, of if she starts to really go downhill I will have to put her down (UGH!) but I will open her, though I don't want to, so I can see what is going one. This will be 2 birds in a short amount of time with very similar symptoms that pass.

10. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry, doesn't sound like she's doing too good. I personally wouldn't keep treating her at this point, I would either cull her or leave her be and see how she does as long as she doesn't appear to be suffering.

To me it sounds like internal laying, I have one who occasionally does it, she walk like that for a week or so than absorbs the egg and gets better. Nothing that you can do for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by