Weird chicken of the bunch

NCcitychicken

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2015
Salisbury nc
Hi, I raised five white leghorn hens this spring and all but one are great chickens. The oddball is a little smaller and she has white feathers just like the rest but her comb and waddles are tiny instead of the large drooping ones my others have. And she has yellow ears the rest have white. I named her trouble maker because she is the one always flying over the run and she's spooky. The other chickens don't really like her but they tolerate her. You can tell. I'm taking my 2 best ones to breed with my dads red ranger rooster and I'm gonna add a few more to my flock. My question is what's up with trouble maker and should I just go ahead and eat her. I'm not even sure she lays that well or at all. She does seem healthy though. They have oyster shells fresh water laying pellets just a bit of scratch every day and they free range in the evenings.

Question...... Are they ALL WL.??? Did you hatch them/ or got from store as chicks. If they are your hatch, then you have a runt. Genetics can be funny and intriguing. If you got her from store as chick, it may be a different breed that got mixed in.

When you say you want to eat her... It just makes me
hit.gif

Welcome here to our forum..
welcome-byc.gif

Just kidding about the crying.
lau.gif

I got them from my local TSC as chicks they are all supposed to be white leghorn. And thank you for the welcome! Genesis 9:3

Supposed, is no guarantee that a stray did not get in with the Leghorns. If you can, post a pix of her compared to the others. Many here may have answer as to her origins. As to Genesis, I'm all with you, but I only keep a few chickens ( I'm a city slicker.) so for a family get together I would have to eliminate my whole flock. I support Tyson for their delicious 7 week old premium broilers. They are cleaned and dressed and packaged ,and at 1/3 the price of what I keep. I do eat their eggs for sure.

Yes mine are all for eggs too I just might eat her cause I don't think she lays. I put up pics in a different post I kind of have a double post going on I didn't think the first post went through. Haha sorry.

I always loved dominicker chickens when I was young I bought the wl just for the eggs I still want a dominicker roo but I'm afraid it would upset my neighbors with the crowing. After I breed these with the red ranger and add those offspring I might try to find a few dominicker I'd have a pretty little flock.

Back
Top Bottom