Weird chickens or just being dumb?

The coop door has been open 24/7 and it has two roof ventilation ports that are bird blocks like on a house. With that door open the wind would be blowing into the coop lightly has the wind come thru right there all night. Maybe I can try propping open my window.
You don't want wind blowing in, at least not hard enough to ruffle feathers (because then they can't keep warm).

Do you have photos of the actual vents and outside of coop? Is there sufficient natural light inside the coop at sunset, so the chickens can see to navigate up to the roosts?

Wind won’t blow into window. Coop is between two structures. Window faces north. Wind can only blow East to west between the two structures. One is on north side and one on south side. So wind right past it. And the roost bars are considerably lower than window. I’d assume there is enough light since at least one makes it to the bar. Tomorrow I will have that shutter open all the way for sure to put more light in to see if that changes anything on if they make it to the bars or not. They have been going in coop 30 mins before total dark. So that window will get enough light. If there is any birds left on ground I’ll move them to the roost and give an update.

Thanks for your reply all. All chickens stayed in their coop. Even the ones that didn’t make it to the Roost last night because I couldn’t reach them. The ones I put on the roost were still there this morning.

Back
Top Bottom