weird cockerel behaviour

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
to start this off, i’m gonna say that i have two 14 week old silkie cockerels, who are kept in a 6x4 enclosure in one of my sheds which is just temporary for the winter, i’m going to be building them a coop outside in the spring. anyways- today i was cleaning out their “coop” and had them in a dog exercise pen type thing while i did so because my older girls wanted to keep me company as well, and the boys are too young to be around my (approximately) 33 week old pullets who like 2x their size. i started noticing how one of my boys would peck at the older girls and then turn his butt to them and kinda waddle? like how a hen will squat and waddle back and fourth, but he just did the waddling part without squatting. is this just weird teenager behaviour? i know that it’s probably nothing bad, but i’m quite intrigued. he was mainly doing this to my top hen. it wasn’t their first time seeing each other either because as the boys were growing up, i would often have them outside in their exercise pen when the ladies would free range.

Was he acting like he’s picking up food for them and bowing down with it? My rooster does this to his girls. He even pretends he’s pecking food to get them over near him so he can snag a lady 😂
not at all, but that sounds funny! it was so weird, it looked like he was just trying to bug her. he would peck at her over and over, then turn his butt to her 🙄 i really don’t understand their behaviour sometimes! hahaha

Was he acting like he’s picking up food for them and bowing down with it? My rooster does this to his girls. He even pretends he’s pecking food to get them over near him so he can snag a lady 😂
Oh my goodness my rooster does this too sooo funny I thought he was doing it to pretend he was eating but spur me when I turn around 😂😂

not at all, but that sounds funny! it was so weird, it looked like he was just trying to bug her. he would peck at her over and over, then turn his butt to her 🙄 i really don’t understand their behaviour sometimes! hahaha

Soooo funny, I just got in the house after cleaning my greenhouse coop and just observed my rooster pecking at one of the little ones that are from the batch yours came from! He pecked her a few times and walked away a little, then tried each of the others. He didn’t have any luck but the frizzle came running over like she was jealous and squatted for him 😂. Your guy might be testing the girls to see if they will squat for him. They don’t think he’s boss yet.

I have two broilers here, almost 6 months old and huge (I know, I know!! Bad idea.), and the rooster gets mad because they won’t squat for him 😂 if any person walks by them they squat but won’t do it for him. Poor fellerdoesn’t feel very useful around them. But he just falls off because they are 4 times the size of him.

okay well it’s been a little bit since i said anything here but i’ve been trying to get a video of them doing the weird dance thing. he was doing it this morning and i caught this weird noise he made on video. any idea what this means? it was so loud! i didn’t expect it at all. the helicopter sound that happened in the backyard was robbie trying to fly over to us without touching the snow (sorry about the quality, i don’t know how to make it better) :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom