Weird duck bill

Filer5000

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2021

Our pekin duck recently has had less energy then usual. We made sure she wasn't having to much food and took her down to our pond for some excercise and she was doing slightly better. Today we went to go check her and realized her beak was swollen. We gave liquamycin to her today and made a post on reddit (r/backyardchickens and r/backyardducks). Any help is appreciated.

After a quick google search, it says this is rare and requires urgent veterinary care. I would suggest you look up your nearest avian vet ASAP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_181.png
    Screenshot_181.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 22
After a quick google search, it says this is rare and requires urgent veterinary care. I would suggest you look up your nearest avian vet ASAP.
For your info this is what she looked like awhile ago, no swelling completely normal.
FYI this is a pic of a few months ago

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_175342_01.jpg
    IMG_20210314_175342_01.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20210314-175140.jpg
    Screenshot_20210314-175140.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 21
The link @SolarDuck screenshotted has some valuable information pertaining to your situation.

http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue114.htm

A swelled duckbill is likely to be related to an abscess, or an injury resulting in malfunction of the salivary glands in the bill. With the former, the area will likely need to be lanced, cleaned, and the bird started on antibiotics, and anti-inflammatory medications. If you have access to a veterinarian that would be the best route to take:

https://www.metzerfarms.com/Veterinarians.cfm

Our pekin duck recently has had less energy then usual. We made sure she wasn't having to much food and took her down to our pond for some excercise and she was doing slightly better. Today we went to go check her and realized her beak was swollen. We gave liquamycin to her today and made a post on reddit (r/backyardchickens and r/backyardducks). Any help is appreciated.
Update everyone. We took her to the vet, was given some antibiotics and he is looking way better!

Back
Top Bottom