Weird egg material w/pic

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
I just got back in from checking the chickens & saw this on the floor thought it was an egg. It's solid & I'm not sure who dropped it?? Should I be worried???
Most of the hens in that coop are molting, is it a sign of starting to lay again?

100_3901.jpg

Your bird may be an internal/false layer ... they will on occasion pass this... here are two articles (the first is from the free sample issue at Aviculture Europe on Eggs... the section a bit further on in the article gives info on False (internal) Layer and Salpingitis) and the second link is to a summarized thread from the EZBYC board location on Penny's Surgery (hen who had what is effectively a chicken "hysterectomy" to cure the condition >with photos of what and why the chronic condition will eventually kill your chicken even when the bird is lucky enough not to develop periotonitis) ... remember now that the appearance of such "rubber eggs" (see the reference to this in the first article) does not necessarily mean your bird will develop the chronic condition , but it must be said they often do.
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/proefnummer/07E03A06.pdf
(you will need to turn off your pop-up blocker to allow the magazines sponsor ads ) Dial-up users >it may take a bit as there are several photos to illustrate various reproductive conditions but it is well worth the wait!

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/PennysSurgery/PennysSurgery.html
Graphic photos of surgery (however it illustrates what happens when the yolk builds up in the birds and why this condition can eventually be the death of your bird)

You know, when I first looked at it it looked somewhat like a potato to me. Then I read the article (first link) that dlhunicorn posted and it mentioned material being laid that looked like a dried up potato. Hope your girl is ok.

hit.gif
well that stinks
sad.png

Thanks for the links, not much I can do I guess.We have an avian vet, but they are so far away & too expensive.Not certain who dropped it anyways, just have to keep a good eye on them.
jeaucamom, yeah I opened it & it's just a solid chunk inside.
I guess this is what happened to my Buff I lost this yr.
hit.gif

Thanks yall for the info.

Diana's info is important. My poor hen Betty used to do that - I had posted similar photos. She ended up getting bad internal infections. For awhile antibiotics and anti-inflammatories worked and she would go back to seeming well and happy. Then they didn't work anymore and I had a hysterectomy done on her but she was too infected at that point and didn't make it - the vet said rotting eggs were inside her - she must have felt so terrifically sick, poor Betty. I hadn't done the surgery as a first point of attack hoping she wouldn't have to endure it and yet ultimately did it because she and her roo friend were so bonded I wanted to save her for him and vice versa. She probably would have been fine if I had done the surgery early on (at which point her exact problem was not really unknown, but was speculated). Poor Betty went through a lot - too much really. All this said, it is also possible, as Diana notes, that this is a passing thing. Your hen may well be fine for a long time to come.
JJ

Please dont take this information as a death sentence... if you read the part in the first link on the "rubber eggs" , it could also very well be a bit of inflamed material that has passed through the reproductive tract... this happens on occasion and your bird might not be an internal layer at all but simply have a bit of inflamation in the reproductive tract and that rubbery things is simply a bit of sloughed off material that has gone through a misfunctioning reproductive tract...the condition may be temporary. Just be on watch out and try and figure out who is passing this if it remains a regular appearance.

Back
Top Bottom