Weird egg with a hole?

Naisha

Raptor whisperer
Oct 30, 2021
Spain
Hello! I have this old chicken that sometimes lays eggs like this. There's a hole and I don't know if she pecked on it or it's something that happens to some chickens. And also, around the hole there's deformed shell, if you touch it, it's hard. The hole isn't all the way to the middle, there's another layer inside and you can't spill anything if you put it upside down.
Have you ever seen this before?
IMG20221119175721.jpg

ive seen the excess deposits before on an egg from an old girl but the hole is something new. If the membrane is not punctured is even stranger why it would not adherre to that one point? Being sharp on the corner like that makes me think someone / something pecked that little bit out. Id say if you eat it, eat it right away as without the shell there might not be a lot protecting it from contamination issues

Aaron

I have this old chicken that sometimes lays eggs like this.
Does it always look like that with the hole right in the middle of the excess shell material? Or is it sometimes a hole and sometimes the excess shell material? How many times have you seen that in the past? Is that eggshell relatively thin compared to your other eggs?

A thin eggshell is fairly easy to puncture with a claw when the hen is walking in the nest or if the egg is hitting a nail or screw or screw head when it is being laid. There is a membrane inside the egg that would prevent leaking as long as it is not punctured. That looks like it is on the narrow end, not where the air cell would be, so it is likely that membrane would be broken from a puncture. If you have holes in varying places on other eggs it could be a puncture, but I tend to think it is a bad shell gland.

I don't know how old that hen is but they sometimes develop glitches when they get old.

Thank you guys for the answers! The #17 of that site really looks like one egg I got from her! Hmmm she also had some problems of soft shell some time ago, and lately I've seen some eggs with a hole. I'm not sure if the hole was near the excess shell the other times. She lays maybe one egg a week or even one every two weeks, she has a balanced diet but she's old, so age could be the cause.
However, it could be that the egg shell is not hard enough and she punctured it. When she had the soft shell problem sometimes she ate her own eggs (aghh!!). Then I decided to get those nests where the eggs roll down, so maybe she tried to eat it and then it rolled down, so she couldn't do it.

I've gotten those eggs before. The holes are always on the calcium deposit.
The egg whites aren't coming out because of the membrane.

Ooh I'm glad to read I'm not the only one. Do you know if it means she has some deficiency? Or is it just what it is?

Back
Top Bottom