Weird egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roverjohn, Nov 2, 2010.

1. roverjohn

roverjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    Sorry no pics but I cracked open an odd egg this morning. It looked normal on the outside but the inner membrane seemed very thick. Also, there was no egg 'white', just a large yolk that was a little more brown than yellow. Anyone ever seen anything like this? I'm not going to worry about it unless it becomes a pattern it was just kind of odd. For everyone's info the egg was no more than two days old and I don't have a roo so no chance of fertilization.

TIA,John

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The difference between the eggs you buy and the ones you raise yourself is that the commercial eggs have been checked to remove most oddities before packaging them. As you grow your own you're going to find "weird" things happen in the process of going down the hen's oviduct that you'll never see in the store--odd shaped shells, lack of a shell, blood and meat spots, micro cracks, missing yolks and/or whites, or off-colored yolks. This has little to do with whether the egg is fertilized or not--the process isn't perfect is all. Nonetheless, these "weird" eggs are ok to eat--if it bothers you, use the egg for baking.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:[​IMG]

I've eaten some pretty odd ones - Including eggs without a shell, and they tasted just fine.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Very well said Woodmort! Lets not forget the pleasant surprises of double and the all so rare triple yokes! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  5. Esteri

Esteri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    When the girls were just getting started we generally had a double yolk about every other day. One day the egg was just ginormous!! Sure enough a triple yolker! My 9 year-old had fun frying it up for himself. The thing was huge - poor girl - not certain how she got it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by