Weird egg?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I was wondering whether anyone has ever had a hen lay an egg that looks like the one in my Avatar picture? If so, did the hen live long afterwards? And did you ever find out what caused her to lay an egg that looked like that? If she died, what did she die of?

Thanks in advance,

Clare

Several of our almost 2yr old Black Star's lay eggs like that occasionally. The eggs are fine, taste great. I agree with Highlander, just a glitch in the paint department.

Really? A Poultry expert told me it could be a sign of internal disease, and if I got more from the hen, she might die. I didn't get more, but she did pass away shortly after laying this egg. Not sure whether it was a coincidence or not, but she was only 17 months old.

Just now I searched my old e-mails and re-read it. He said that this type of eggshell is typically associated with hens either just going into or just going out of production, not typically with other hens. My girl was about 15 months old when she laid an egg of this type, not fitting either of those categories.

He said if she were to lay more such eggs (she did not), it could be a sign of internal reproductive disease or trauma.

One of mine lays an egg kind of like once in a while. All of mine are healthy and, as far as I know, are disease free. It isn't as extreme as yours, but it still looks quite like it. I think it may be one of my Barred Rocks.

Interesting, Kinsey. My sweet girl who laid the egg was a Barred Rock. I wonder whether the disease associated with it is the peritonitis? That is what I would suspect. But, like I said, my girl only laid one such egg, as far as I know, unless she laid some in spots I didn't find. How old is your girl who lays the similar eggs? I think this egg got stuck in my girl for a while and she just dropped it early the next morning, rather than actually laying it, because I found it much earlier in the morning than the girls normally laid. She may have been too fat, and that may have interfered with her egg-laying and maybe killed her. I have suspected fatty liver disease, but never got a diagnosis of any kind, as she died while I was away on vacation.

She started laying late November-mid December. I can't remember. She isn't fat, she's normal size, and I think her sister does the same thing. Maybe it's a Barred Rock thing ? I got my 2 from a friend, and I don't know where she got them. Probably hatchery stock.

I think the hatchery stock has problems related to broiler birds like Barred Rocks. My girl's Barred Rock sister, bought at the same time, never laid an egg like that one, but she went through a period of laying 2 eggs a day-- I kid you not. It wasn't really often but it happened at least 7 different times. Mostly at the beginning of her second laying season, early last March. She hasn't done it for a long time. Will be interesting to see whether it happens again this spring.

Back
Top Bottom