Weird egg?

misslys15

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 9, 2014
My 16 week old Tetra Tint just started laying. She laid one egg the other day which was small (which I expected), but completely normal. She just laid her second egg, also small, but it had something on it. I rinsed it off, and whatever it was came off in one piece, and the egg underneath seemed normal, just slightly discolored where the thing had been (the color probably would've went back to normal if I had scrubbed at it, but I know even rinsing eggs is iffy, I wasn't about to scrub it). Whatever it was was soft to the touch. Here is a picture:

Anyone know what this is?

Oh I forgot to mention that as long as the birds is acting completely healthy and normal, there usually is nothing to worry about. Young pullets who are just starting to lay can lay all sorts of weird eggs according to the forums here. One of my girls who has been laying quite well gave me the most odd shaped nasty looking egg the other day but is now back to normal and another girl laid a soft shell for her first, dropped her second from the roost and is now laying just fine. Weather , feed, stress are all factors with these young ladies, lol.

Oh no, she's definitely healthy. I'm not worried about that. Just wondering what it is. And I have read that article in the past, but it doesn't seem to match up to any of those issues.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it was the remnants of a soft egg. Looks like the shell of my girls soft egg. Could have just broke during the lay so the liquids came out but the rest stayed and came out with the next egg? Hope someone has a solid answer for you!

Back
Top Bottom