Weird eggs

Saxophonetiff

Chirping
Mar 29, 2021
One of my Golden Comets has been laying weird eggs. Progression from light tan to cream to off white to white. With each shade lighter the egg becomes thinner and more calcium deposits.
They eat a pellet with oyster shells and get larva treats occasionally.
The egg I got today was so thin my finger nail cracked it just by collecting it and you can see through it when help up to the light.
Any ideas?

Yes, my pellet feed has it mixed in.

Best to offer oyster shell on the side so birds that don't need extra don't ingest it.

For the problem bird, might try artificially boosting the calcium intake for a couple weeks to see if that makes a difference. Some folks on here swear by calcium citrate tablets (the ones made for humans) as that type of calcium is more readily absorbed.

One of my Golden Comets has been laying weird eggs. Progression from light tan to cream to off white to white. With each shade lighter the egg becomes thinner and more calcium deposits.
They eat a pellet with oyster shells and get larva treats occasionally.
The egg I got today was so thin my finger nail cracked it just by collecting it and you can see through it when help up to the light.
Any ideas?
How old is it?

Go with the calcium citrate, reason being the only way to figure out if lack of calcium is the issue (vs shell gland or other physical issues) is to guarantee a large quantity of easily absorbed calcium is in her system. If after a couple of weeks of direct dosing calcium doesn't work, then it's not because she doesn't get enough calcium but that her body is not absorbing it or utilizing it correctly.

She might be in need of some calcium+Vit D3+Vit. K, there are additive for their drinking water or just use the tablets for human consumption.

Do they have access to granite grit to properly process the oyster shells?

She might be in need of some calcium+Vit D3+Vit. K, there are additive for their drinking water or just use the tablets for human consumption.

Do they have access to granite grit to properly process the oyster shells?
Thanks for the advice! I will look into this. Yes, they have my access to grit. All my other girls of the same age don’t have any issue it seems.

Sounds like she a picky eater. Usually if there on layer pellets they don't require oyster shells. My hens don't seem to be using my oyster shells at all. They do like the smashed eggshells I throw in my compost and the pellets. Although I do give them a lot of vegetable greens, some contain calcium also and other minerals. I never had any problems with egg shell density.

Back
Top Bottom