Weird exaggerated yawn / stretch thing

Creteloc

Songster
5 Years
Sep 29, 2017
Northern Utah
I have three of my seven babies (3 Wyandottes/4 Speckled Sussex) doing this weird exaggerated yawn coupled with a one-legged back stretch thing that has me concerned. I looked it up on here and I found the yawn (possibly fuzz in their throat/gapeworm/overheated) but not at the same time as their leg stretching back. I only have three that do it. I'm not near a farm vet. These chicks were born on Thursday the 11th. I got them from a reputable source.

I have a webcam available if someone would please take a look at my brooder. It's PTZ so you can move the camera left and right to see the entire brooder. I can't see it being over heated. Under the heat is 100 degrees but the entire structure is 4 feet long so they can easily move out from under the heat. One bucket has water and one has an electrolyte/acv mixture.

Anyway, if someone can take a look, I'll PM you the webcam info. Maybe you can see something wrong?

They are simply adjusting the contents of their crops. As for the back leg stretch, yep... they are stretching. Seen them take a dust bath yet? Almost every year, there is a thread in the emergency section b/c someone thinks their birds are having a seizure! Give those babies some grit, or preferably a plug of sod from an untreated yard. They'll get: grit, minerals, seeds, insects, greens, first dust bath, and infinite play value. That sod will also give them beneficial bacteria and fungi to jump start their immune systems and their gut flora for improved digestion.

Back
Top Bottom