Weird first egg at exactly 18 weeks

First attempts are often unusual eggs as the hen's body begins to gear up.

If the photos indicate correctly, it looks like a soft-shelled egg (sort of a water balloon with yolk/egg content in middle).

That can be a sign of low calcium. New layers do need to load up on calcium so the oyster shell will be important.

I'd personally put them on layer feed rather than all flock (unless you are trying to feed a lot of other bird types...ducks, turkeys, etc). Grower, if you meant that, is meant for meat birds and has a lot of protein but very little calcium. Chick starter is typically what most have their chicks to young pullets on which has moderate calcium and moderate protein with high vitamins and minerals. At about 14 weeks of age (depending on breed) I begin to transition to layer to help them load calcium for laying. I seem to get the best results with layer feed due to its high absorbable calcium.

But you can place them on flock raiser (slightly different than all flock) or all flock especially if you have roosters while providing oyster shell on the side, free feed.

In time, this should work itself out.

Congratulations on the new layer :)

LofMc
A water balloon with content in the middle sums it up well!

I completely did not expect them to lay right under the roost. Could she have laid during the night?
I'm not surprised they'd be low on calcium because I just started switching things with today being their 18 week birthday. Apparently, they're ahead of me and I should get my butt in gear!
One of my three breeds are at laying age but all are 18 weeks. (Brahmas, barred rocks, Easter eggers) Should I stop the chick grower completely at this point and just do the bag of Kalmbach Flock Maker? Or continue to transition?

A water balloon with content in the middle sums it up well!

I completely did not expect them to lay right under the roost. Could she have laid during the night?
I'm not surprised they'd be low on calcium because I just started switching things with today being their 18 week birthday. Apparently, they're ahead of me and I should get my butt in gear!
One of my three breeds are at laying age but all are 18 weeks. (Brahmas, barred rocks, Easter eggers) Should I stop the chick grower completely at this point and just do the bag of Kalmbach Flock Maker? Or continue to transition?
Any of those feeds can work. Just make sure that you have the calcium available on the side. When switching from feed #1 to feed #2, it is best to mix them together for a while so they get used to the new taste.

Sounds like you had a shell-less egg. It happens. I'd only be concerned on the 2nd and worried by the 3rd such egg. Laying off the roost can even happen (rarely) when they are established.

Any of those feeds can work. Just make sure that you have the calcium available on the side. When switching from feed #1 to feed #2, it is best to mix them together for a while so they get used to the new taste.

Sounds like you had a shell-less egg. It happens. I'd only be concerned on the 2nd and worried by the 3rd such egg. Laying off the roost can even happen (rarely) when they are established.
Ok, I'll keep mixing it. They stared at the oyster shells like it's from outer space.
Now I just wish I knew who my first egg came from!

A hen laying an egg is a pretty complicated process. First, her internal egg making factory has to put all the parts together. It is not unusual for a pullet to not get it all right. That's why you can get thin-shelled, no shell, really thick shelled, double yolked, no yolks, no whites eggs, or really weird shaped eggs. Usually the pullets get the kinks out of that system fairly soon but some take longer than others. It is surprising to me how many actually get an egg put together correctly the first time.

Part of laying that egg is to know when and where to lay it. Most seem to have control over that part from the start. They may look for a good nesting sight a week before that first egg comes. They are supposed to have "triggers" that tells them when to release a yolk so it can travel through their egg making system and be ready to lay during daylight hours. But some of them don't get that part ahead of time. That first egg seems to surprise them. They may drop their egg wherever they happen to be, on the roost or just walking around. Again, the ones that don't have control seem to work these kinks out fairly quickly, usually just a few days. If it goes on longer than two weeks you might have a problem. Until then I would not worry. She's just taking her internal egg making factory through a shakedown cruise.

If a rock is shaped and sized pretty close to an egg it could work. You can get ceramic or wooden eggs at many craft shops. Some people use those plastic Easter eggs, but the hens tend to scratch them apart. I tried putting sand in some and gluing or taping them shut but that did not last that long. Now I use golf balls.

It is possible for any of these problems to occur with older established hens. That internal factory is pretty complicated. If that is an occasional occurrence I don't worry about it. I feel everyone is entitled to an occasional oops. If it becomes consistent then you have an issue.

Since it is her first egg and weird first eggs aren't unusual, don't beat yourself up about the calcium. It likely would not have made any difference in that egg anyway. The problem is likely not that she was short on calcium, her body just didn't know how to use it.

But I suggest you offer a calcium supplement on the side. I prefer oyster shells, they are inexpensive and so easy. Just offer them on the side, either in a feeder or toss them on the run floor. The ones that need them for eggshells seem to realize it and eat them. The others might eat a few but should not eat enough to harm themselves. That is a very common way to provide extra calcium when some need it and some don't.

A hen laying an egg is a pretty complicated process. First, her internal egg making factory has to put all the parts together. It is not unusual for a pullet to not get it all right. That's why you can get thin-shelled, no shell, really thick shelled, double yolked, no yolks, no whites eggs, or really weird shaped eggs. Usually the pullets get the kinks out of that system fairly soon but some take longer than others. It is surprising to me how many actually get an egg put together correctly the first time.

Part of laying that egg is to know when and where to lay it. Most seem to have control over that part from the start. They may look for a good nesting sight a week before that first egg comes. They are supposed to have "triggers" that tells them when to release a yolk so it can travel through their egg making system and be ready to lay during daylight hours. But some of them don't get that part ahead of time. That first egg seems to surprise them. They may drop their egg wherever they happen to be, on the roost or just walking around. Again, the ones that don't have control seem to work these kinks out fairly quickly, usually just a few days. If it goes on longer than two weeks you might have a problem. Until then I would not worry. She's just taking her internal egg making factory through a shakedown cruise.

If a rock is shaped and sized pretty close to an egg it could work. You can get ceramic or wooden eggs at many craft shops. Some people use those plastic Easter eggs, but the hens tend to scratch them apart. I tried putting sand in some and gluing or taping them shut but that did not last that long. Now I use golf balls.

It is possible for any of these problems to occur with older established hens. That internal factory is pretty complicated. If that is an occasional occurrence I don't worry about it. I feel everyone is entitled to an occasional oops. If it becomes consistent then you have an issue.

Since it is her first egg and weird first eggs aren't unusual, don't beat yourself up about the calcium. It likely would not have made any difference in that egg anyway. The problem is likely not that she was short on calcium, her body just didn't know how to use it.

But I suggest you offer a calcium supplement on the side. I prefer oyster shells, they are inexpensive and so easy. Just offer them on the side, either in a feeder or toss them on the run floor. The ones that need them for eggshells seem to realize it and eat them. The others might eat a few but should not eat enough to harm themselves. That is a very common way to provide extra calcium when some need it and some don't.
Thanks.

I wish my chicken cam had caught this in action. How cool would that be!

I have oyster shell out and planning to give more of the Flock Maker food while mixing in less of the chick grower. I was hoping to finish the 50lb bag of grower food!

Will definitely be keeping an eye out now the next few days.

Do they typically lay that second egg pretty quickly?

As others have said, odd eggs are normal for new layers.

I like golf balls in my nests, in part because I can tell them by touch when rummaging round under a broody. :D
I happened to have just ONE single golf ball. Added that plus a blue rubbery ball. Not sure if they'll fall for that one but I guess we'll see.

I have used rocks for years, they are a little heavier than golf balls which can get kicked out. My hens lay where they are suppose to, so rocks work just fine.

The calcium in layer feed, is a small amount that adds calcium over time. In a chicken, in a young chicken, there is a lot of calcium already there stored in the body. It is not important to add calcium at the beginning of laying, but rather at the end of laying. The longer a chicken lays, the more of the stores of calcium in the body have begun to be used up, and that is what the calcium is going to from the diet.

In the beginning, the calcium stored in the body is at a high amount. Much like young people do not osteoporosis, neither do young chickens.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom