Weird first egg at exactly 18 weeks

Hi there...

We had another egg today. It was another thinner shelled one, was broken when I got to it (they may have played with it) and had a bit of blood on the shell. From my understanding, this is still normal. Is that correct?
So we've had one good egg out of three. All small so far

Yes, it can take a few weeks to work the kinks out of the system for the beginners -- and for adult hens going into or coming out of molt too.

I just found this broken egg and it was right below their roost in the coop. I think maybe they laid it at night or early AM?
It's has a soft/almost slightly crispy shell and is broken. I'm brand new to this but almost looks like the shell wasn't "done" by being softer in one area than the other.
I have no clue what chicken laid this.
1. Is this normal?
2. How should I proceed?
3. Why wouldn't they have laid it in a nest box?

Note...I am just switching them from chick grower to all flock food. Currently transitioning and just set oyster shells out today, before seeing this. View attachment 3216071View attachment 3216072View attachment 3216074View attachment 3216075
It happens even with older gals. You've got a good girl getting ready to make beautiful eggs. Provide an area of clean bedding in your roost. They will use it if needed at night. Ie: RIRs lay every 28h or so so it may be in the night sometimes.

I'm up to four little good eggs now. :) I think just one is laying so far but the stinkers never lay when I'm home! :) She started using the nesting boxes. I love how different each egg looks.

Attachments

• PXL_20220813_152240196.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220813_152240196.MP.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 1
First attempts are often unusual eggs as the hen's body begins to gear up.

If the photos indicate correctly, it looks like a soft-shelled egg (sort of a water balloon with yolk/egg content in middle).

That can be a sign of low calcium. New layers do need to load up on calcium so the oyster shell will be important.

I'd personally put them on layer feed rather than all flock (unless you are trying to feed a lot of other bird types...ducks, turkeys, etc). Grower, if you meant that, is meant for meat birds and has a lot of protein but very little calcium. Chick starter is typically what most have their chicks to young pullets on which has moderate calcium and moderate protein with high vitamins and minerals. At about 14 weeks of age (depending on breed) I begin to transition to layer to help them load calcium for laying. I seem to get the best results with layer feed due to its high absorbable calcium.

But you can place them on flock raiser (slightly different than all flock) or all flock especially if you have roosters while providing oyster shell on the side, free feed.

In time, this should work itself out.

Congratulations on the new layer :)

LofMc
I have all hens and mine would never eat the oyster shell but when I mixed it in their food they did. I also supplemented with some probiotics when they 1st started laying and that seemed to get everything moving.

I'm up to four little good eggs now. :) I think just one is laying so far but the stinkers never lay when I'm home! :) She started using the nesting boxes. I love how different each egg looks.

I think you have different layers. While eggs from one hen do vary a little, in size and shape, they tend to be pretty stable in color (except in the instance where dark "chocolate" layers tend to lay lighter in the season. I'm seeing some light shades and darker shades, so I think you've got more than one layer.

LofMc

I think you have different layers. While eggs from one hen do vary a little, in size and shape, they tend to be pretty stable in color (except in the instance where dark "chocolate" layers tend to lay lighter in the season. I'm seeing some light shades and darker shades, so I think you've got more than one layer.

LofMc

LofMc
So they tend to be stable in color even at the beginning of laying? I assumed that came later!
The speckling...one has none, one has a lot ..does that tend to remain stable as well?

LofMc
You were right. I have two layers. I was able to see it in action today! It was so much quicker than I expected.

I just found this broken egg and it was right below their roost in the coop. I think maybe they laid it at night or early AM?
It's has a soft/almost slightly crispy shell and is broken. I'm brand new to this but almost looks like the shell wasn't "done" by being softer in one area than the other.
I have no clue what chicken laid this.
1. Is this normal?
2. How should I proceed?
3. Why wouldn't they have laid it in a nest box?

Note...I am just switching them from chick grower to all flock food. Currently transitioning and just set oyster shells out today, before seeing this. View attachment 3216071View attachment 3216072View attachment 3216074View attachment 3216075
When I got my pullets, they started laying soon after I got them. But there were a couple of times when I found one of these in the morning. This is actually quite normal for hens when they first start to lay. It's like their bodies are trying to confirm that this is the process.
For my girls, I stopped all treats (mealworms, crickets, etc) and instead made sure their food was not moldy, that they had fresh water every morning and we let them forage. I also clean the "night poo" out of the coop every morning. I haven't had any issues since.
Good luck with your girls! They'll be fine. 😁

Back
Top Bottom