Weird flock issues, is something wrong with my yard?

The only way to know what killed your birds is to have a few necropsied with labs done.
Everything else is gross speculation.
@aartis absolutely đź’Ż correct and given how many have so far had issues then as a responsible owner this should be done before subjecting others to possable problems.

The chick feed I use is by a company called Kalmbach and I use it because it’s full of essential oils and supply’s the birds with pre/probiotics which I feel can’t hurt them right?
Just a note on medicated feeds - most medicated feed in US has amprolium which is a thiamine inhibitor (which is how it starves out coccidiosis). If you feed medicated to the flock all the time, there is a possibility of birds also becoming thiamine deficient (plus it also leads to the possibility of coccidiosis strains becoming immune to the amprolium).

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry - "In the initial stages of deficiency, lethargy and head tremors may be noted. A marked decrease in appetite is seen in birds fed a thiamine-deficient diet. Poultry are also susceptible to neuromuscular problems, resulting in impaired digestion, general weakness, star-gazing, and frequent convulsions."

(Not saying this is the cause, but could be a possible contributor - I'd be much more concerned about the fertilizers and insecticides being used near the flock.)

Last edited:
Just a note on medicated feeds - most medicated feed in US has amprolium which is a thiamine inhibitor (which is how it starves out coccidiosis). If you feed medicated to the flock all the time, there is a possibility of birds also becoming thiamine deficient (plus it also leads to the possibility of coccidiosis strains becoming immune to the amprolium).

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry - "In the initial stages of deficiency, lethargy and head tremors may be noted. A marked decrease in appetite is seen in birds fed a thiamine-deficient diet. Poultry are also susceptible to neuromuscular problems, resulting in impaired digestion, general weakness, star-gazing, and frequent convulsions."

(Not saying this is the cause, but could be a possible contributor - I'd be much more concerned about the fertilizers and insecticides being used near the flock.)
Wow this is very eye opening, I had no idea nor every thought that it could hurt them by feeding medicated food.

I will definably consider this with the next chicks I raise. Thanks

Wow this is very eye opening, I had no idea nor every thought that it could hurt them by feeding medicated food.

I will definably consider this with the next chicks I raise. Thanks

The common practice is to buy one bag of medicated chick starter and switch to either unmedicated chick starter or all-flock crumble once that first bag is gone. :)

Thanks for your feedback.
The chick feed I use is by a company called Kalmbach and I use it because it’s full of essential oils and supply’s the birds with pre/probiotics which I feel can’t hurt them right?
And I wondered about the chemicals. I will definably keep an area where the birds can graze free from chemicals.
Kalmbach is good feed. Medicated feed is different than probiotics and essential oils.
As far as fertilizer - my husband won't listen and we have the yard fertilized twice a yr. I keep the birds off for the day it is spread to give it time to dry. I've never had issues. But, that's not to say that it couldn't happen. I would contact the company and ask questions. The company I use states it's safe, but recommended the birds (or humans or dogs) stay off the yard until completely dry.
Edited to add: we live in a rural with crops surrounding us - farms next to us being sprayed and even covered with duck manure that isn't mine - although it worries me quite a bit, I've not had issues from the farming practices. However, it irritates me when duck poop gets thrown into my yard and it's not from my ducks!

If you keep having issues, maybe you should try getting a necropsy on the next bird.

Last edited:
Say WHAT?!
What essential oils?
Here's the list of ingredients for flock maker - which is what I use. I don't see anything alarming.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210731-075153_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210731-075153_Drive.jpg
    942 KB · Views: 16
From the ingredient list, I’ve found Oregano Oil, Rosemary Oil, and Cinnamon Oil being used in the feed.

It smells like a bag of pizza when you open it, no complaint there.
The only oil I see on the list you posted is vegetable oil, up near the top of list...
....maybe I missed the others?

Back
Top Bottom