Weird growth/infection on hen lower/mid back

AveriWhite

In the Brooder
May 19, 2022
My chicken, Lagertha, who is a true whiting, has a weird bump on her back kinda behind her left wing. I've done some research and at first thought, it was her oil gland but now not so sure because it is a bit redder and swollen than the other photos I saw.
Another thing I read it might be was an ingrown feather that's gotten infected and the only way to get rid of it is surgery, which I don't want to pay unless I know 100% sure that's what it is and not something I can treat myself.

Photo of the bump 👇🏻

20220519_180747.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t see any photos with the settings on your link. But a picture might be helpful. Ingrown feather cysts can contain a feather and pus if you explore them with a sterilized needle. You can sometimes squeeze out keratin in feather cysts. The oil gland is more central on the lower back just above the tail. Those sometimes become inflamed and impacted. A warm wet compress held onto the cyst may help soften those, so that they may be massaged and emptied. Here is a picture of an excised feather cyst:
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/feathercyst2.jpg

I can’t see any photos with the settings on your link. But a picture might be helpful. Ingrown feather cysts can contain a feather and pus if you explore them with a sterilized needle. You can sometimes squeeze out keratin in feather cysts. The oil gland is more central on the lower back just above the tail. Those sometimes become inflamed and impacted. A warm wet compress held onto the cyst may help soften those, so that they may be massaged and emptied. Here is a picture of an excised feather cyst:
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/sites/default/files/inline-images/feathercyst2.

Thank you. It doesn't look like what you posted to me, but I did re-post the photo so maybe you can confirm.
If it is the oil gland how long should I hold the hot compress to her?

Back
Top Bottom