Weird jelly egg with tail..?

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
Pearl left this egg in the nest this morning:

941_teenager_chicks_020.jpg

Later in the day she left another one ( she didn't lay one yesterday)...

941_teenager_chicks_022.jpg

They're both squishy....

941_teenager_chicks_021.jpg

Is this because of stress or something? They have oyster shell available all the time and get other protein & greens to snack on in small doses each day as a treat and their regular feed available all day.

We also put the smaller coop & run along side the adult birds (the one that laid the jelly egg) with the new babies (8wks old) And there was some stress involved with the new additions. Things have calmed down and there was the other hen that had softish shelled eggs here and there at the time we put the babies out. But she's fine now. Now we get this one from the other hen.....

Just wondering if it's a stress thing, or I'm missing something with nutrition? Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm wondering if you have new layers, from time to time they will lay eggs like that. Also nutrition could be a factor......do they recieve layers feed & oyster shells?

I had one like that from a hen who layed double yolkers. She later prolapsed so bad she had to be culled. She would lay all kinds of eggs. Was tested for everything but was clear so it had to be a genetic thing with her. She was a brahma mix. Gloria jean

Quote:
They never went through a tough molt, they would lose a small bunch of feathers in a few days, then stopped and then it would happen a few weeks later. It was sort of delayed molt. Right now, there are no feathers strewn about. So I figure maybe stress, but thanks Specs I'm going to add EXTRA calcium into their food.

BTW the adults are 2 1/2 yrs old. They've been laying for 2 years now! They're good girls. I just hope they don't have other egg issues at this age.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom