weird lumpy thing in the front of my chicken?

chickensducks&agoose

Songster
11 Years
Aug 28, 2008
New England.. the cold part.
I went out yesterday and picked my 6 mo. old golden comet up for a cuddle. Anyway, I noticed a fist sized lump right in the front of her chest, buried under feathers. It feels like an extra wing, kind of crunchy (feathery feeling), but is under the skin, and is smooshable. I pressed on it, and it made a big dent that i could feel. Some kind of edema? it doesnt seem to bug her, and i pestered it for a while. She seems healthy. what could it be?

The crop. Wait until they really make pigs of themselves. It will actually stick out. After mine ate leftovers from Turkey day they got on their roost...I suppose for a nap.
lau.gif
What a sight all those hens full. I thought they may just tumble over.
wink.png

I went out to close the coop a couple of nights ago and I was petting the girls closest to the door. One BR must have eaten EVERYTHING I put out that day. Her crop was huge. Everyone else was just normal. I checked her the next day and she was fine but she looked like she ate a grapefruit WHOLE tha night before! lol

Quote:
No it is not. You are describing the gizzard that is deep inside the bird cavity about 2/3 down.

The crop is a big pocket so they can eat quick and run if needed.

Thank you guys SO much. I thought maybe she had some sort of granular tumor, or something. I went out just now and groped the other hens who would allow it, and about half had something like it. My comet's one is smaller this morning. what a relief! so that junk i feel is food? it feels like a bean bag... thanks for all your help, i was seriously concerned!

chickensducks&agoose :

Thank you guys SO much. I thought maybe she had some sort of granular tumor, or something. I went out just now and groped the other hens who would allow it, and about half had something like it. My comet's one is smaller this morning. what a relief! so that junk i feel is food? it feels like a bean bag... thanks for all your help, i was seriously concerned!

When I first got my chickens I felt that too and was concerned. I never knew it would be so big. The next day it was gone.
wink.png

i have noticed that the crop seems to be off to the right side a bit on my girls, is this something that's standard or does it just go whichever way ?

Back
Top Bottom