Weird noise coming from the woods across the street!!!!!

Quote:
Why didn't you just go look and see what it was? It could have been an animal in need that you could have helped?
hu.gif

I agree. You never know when a coon or a wounded hawk might need your help. Nusre them back to good health so they can eat you chickens.

Last edited:
Twice a year on our farm, this red fox wanders around at night making a screeching noise.It is chilling, esspecially since he is always somewhere behind the houseand our coops. We believe he is romancing, because he never comes near the coop just wanders around calling out ever few minutes. Also a screech owl scares the devil outta me. Sometimes sounds like it is calling my name.

We hear nises like that from time to time. Hub says not to worry about it.. probably an owl got something... but I would NEVER go into our woods in the dark. Too many scary critters that might get me! We hear bobcats, coyotes and other stuff all the time. If something was squawking like that, my guess is something already got it and there wouldn't be much you could do for it anyway.

We moved to a rural area 5 years ago and I'm amazed by the sounds that come out of the woods. There's probably a better source on the Internet, but this site has a number of sound files for bobcat, deer, fox, etc., and has helped me identify some of the animals around here:

www.western-rivers.com

You have to go to "Links and Downloads" for the list. I hope it helps. I agree with an earlier poster that you shouldn't go wandering into the woods at night to investigate.

Yeah, be careful. Those big old mean frogs or certain insects can make some pretty loud scary noises too.

When city folks come to spend a night with us, they are often amazed at how peaceful and quiet a country night is not. For some, it is too noisy for them to sleep. Weird strange scary noises, usually frogs and insects but occasionally an owl or something else. Coyotes are real common here too.

Seriously, it is good to know what you are listening to. You would be amazed at what actually lives in suburban areas, let alone the real country. It is hardly ever going to be something really dangerous to you, so you will feel better just knowing what it is. The woods can be real scary at night, especially since moonlight does not always penetrate through the trees, but just being in the dark and not knowing is scary.

Normally when we checkout strange noises they're two of us working as a team, my brother and I. But sometimes when I check out strange noises in the tree line alone I don't use a spot light, instead I use a nightvision scope. I tell ya it feels good to own the night.

Call me weird, but I love the woods at night. When the moon is full, you don't even need a light. I admit it can be spooky, but once you get used to being there, it is really cool! I like to hear the night sounds and try to figure out what is making them. I like to know what animal neighbors I have so I can prepare for their coming to investigate my place. The only animal I fear is one that is rabid or starving. The others will run away before one gets close enough to even see them. I have only been worried about the coyotes when there are alot of them and they are really close. If you are going out at night, carry a gun if you are concerned for your safety, just make sure you know what you are shooting at if you shoot. You know, on second thought, if you get scared in the woods at night, you should probably just stay home.
smile.png

yeah so we think its a fox but im not going in there racoons, foxes, stange things people write down in a book in this nature park near my houuse, horse footprints i saw once, deer and even though they will run away, snakes, these weird teenagerrs that onnce brought a hammer in saw into those woods, coyotes that have been seen by my mom but no one else, jackolopes! yes jackolopes! one time something hissed at me and it sounded almost like a swan mixed with a cat one 2wice my friends thought they saw a thing at the side of the road like a bear/jackolope but they were probly joking but still jackolopes and mabey even the jersey devil! all reasons i wond go into those woods at night and the times i have gone in there when it was dark i was really scared

Quote:
Why didn't you just go look and see what it was? It could have been an animal in need that you could have helped?
hu.gif

I agree. You never know when a coon or a wounded hawk might need your help. Nusre them back to good health so they can eat you chickens.

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom