weird opened mouth gagging or swallowing

gjoyner

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Denver Metro area Colorado
ok, Ive noticed my chickens doing this sometimes since they were littler. They open their mouth wide and it looks like they are swallowing with their mouth open. They dont do it enough for me to be worried..I was just wondering what it is that they are doing.
anybody?

Are you having very hot temperatures in your area? I have noticed that my RIRs then to "pant" when it is very hot. I hose down the outside of the coop and the run. They really seem to like that.

no its not panting. they do do that sometimes cuz it gets hot here.
But just try it.. try opening your mouth and swallowing...I know thats weird..but it looks like that.

Mine do that too! They have always done it. I dont know what it is. I just started giving them a little more grit today. Dont know, we'll see if that helps. They seem fine otherwise.

Mine do that too. I would like to know what it is? I always assumed that worms and other things just took a few extra gulps to get down.

DB

I noticed mine do that sometimes too. I also give supplemental grit even though they have a large yard to range in.

I figure if they need it they'll use it, if not they won't.

Is it all of your chickens or just one or two? We had one do this and get worse and worse and almost die. It took several days to recover. Another member suggested that it had ingested wet shavings (our waterer was leaking) Still don't know what it was exactly. We gave it probiotics and lots of TLC.

I saw this at the end of the day with several of mine. I'm still torn if they are trying to finish swollowing the green weeds and grass from the day or a simplier answer is that they are yawning...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom